vibration??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buttonhook View Post
    The tire are not 25 years old (they are in metric measurements not inches) but I dont know for sure how old the tires are (not new thats for sure). I will nbe replacing them at the end of the summer I don't think they are dangerous (would n't ride it or let anyone else if I did) but they will need to be replaced soon just because of the unknown age.

The tires may not be the orginal but the wheel weights ARE for sure (they still say suzuki on them)and prob. are still in the original place. I think the PO did a home tire change and did not or didn't know how to balance them(thats my theory/hope anyway).

<Snip>
    Your theory sounds plausible ...

Given that the wheels are likely out of balance, just balance them before you try to chase any other (possibly non-existent) problems.

I think you should replace your tires ... but even if you don't want to do that yet, you CAN keep the old tires and still balance the wheels.

Its easy, pretty much free, and the only tools you need is a set of sawhorses or some milk crates to rest the axles on.

Just do it, don't get trapped by a paralysis of analysis.
    In the time you spent on this thread you could have been done.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
      Your theory sounds plausible ...

Given that the wheels are likely out of balance, just balance them before you try to chase any other (possibly non-existent) problems.

I think you should replace your tires ... but even if you don't want to do that yet, you CAN keep the old tires and still balance the wheels.

Its easy, pretty much free, and the only tools you need is a set of sawhorses or some milk crates to rest the axles on.

Just do it, don't get trapped by a paralysis of analysis.
      In the time you spent on this thread you could have been done.
      If the tires are even four or so years old, they are lacking in traction, old rubber gets hard and loses it's grip. Treat yourself to some good new tires, they are cheap.
      Mount and balance them yourself so you know it has been done correctly.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        If the tires are even four or so years old, they are lacking in traction, old rubber gets hard and loses it's grip. Treat yourself to some good new tires, they are cheap.
        Well I am going to buy new tires but I doubt that I will mount and balance them myself I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I can have both tires mounted and balanced with wheels still on the the bike for $60 for both, so I don't think I'm going to do that myself. I'm also going to check the rear wheel alignment and make sure it's right. Then I'm going to order the new tires.

This bike doesn't get to do any kind performance riding or even wet weather riding so tire wear is going to be more important than overall grip. Is there any good cheap (like under $100 or so for a set) tires you guy would recommend/or not recommend for this application. The front size is a bias-ply 100-90-18 and back is a bias-ply 120-90-16 and they only have to be a S speed rating.

I looked at bikebandit.com and there seems to be a big difference in prices ($25-$150 each) depending on the brand and/or style. Is there any place cheaper w/shipping that I need to look?

Comment

Originally posted by buttonhook View Post

I looked at bikebandit.com and there seems to be a big difference in prices ($25-$150 each) depending on the brand and/or style. Is there any place cheaper w/shipping that I need to look?
          Try southwest mototire or American mototire, one is cheaper, the other has free shipping.
          Hi-max are supposed to be good tires for not much money.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            AGREE, as usual... Tires (and there are only two) are a must on a bike that has been stored. Hard rubber and rain are a terrible combo. Plus, that is one more issue that you can rule out and as an added benefit...the ride will improve, guaranteed. my .02

Comment

Working...
            X