Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Questions

Hi Guys
    Been a while since I said anything here. I have been buried in a total rebuild/repaint of an 82 GS 1100 for so long now it is starting to make me crazy. It is coming out beautiful so far hope to be rolling by July 4. Anyhow….

Putting the rear brakes on today; I seem to have lost a spacer (it is part number 8 in the standard schematic like you see in Clymer or Bike Bandit). Cannot find the danged thing anywhere, and everyone lists this part as discontinued. I have been able to make everything fit with an improvised steel spacer. I have three quick questions:

1. Does anyone have one of these OEM spacers that I can buy? If not, can anyone tell me the exact width of the blessed thing so I can be sure I have it just right? ?

2. Is the rear caliper brace (part number 11 in the standard schematic) supposed to move freely on the axle or not? Mine binds when I put the torque to the rear axle bolt. The wheel turns freely and the calipers line up fine with just a slight rub on the right pad. I feel really stupid asking this but I honestly forgot how it goes!

As always, thanks in advance to the most helpful bikers on the internet. You have saved my butt so many times. I love you guys! I will post pics of this baby when the work is all done!

The caliper will be stationary when the Axel is tightened. So it needs to be assembled before the Axel is tightened

Comment

thank you

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Comment

An E model?
        #8 is the axle on an E.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Glz

It is the GLZ, the schematic number for the part is 8.

Comment

not sure what #numbers youre talking about, but...
            there are a couple of spacers, one each side to the caliper holder
            you can make them out of thick washers with the opening of the size of the axle
            as for the measurements, your guide is
            that the brake rotor has to be centered in the calipers (when viewed from the back its easy to spot/align)
            the remaining distance from the caliper holder to the swingarm

the spacer that goes next to the wheel bearing also has a protective dust cover (for the wheelbearing) - so this spacer i would use the oem
            for the other spacer it doesnt really matter, you can use washers
            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
            X