Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried one of these EBay Master Cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OutLaw Bit View Post
    That's what I'm using on mine.I couldn't find a good OEM anywhere on earth so I bought one of these (could be same Seller).The only thing the orginal brake handle wouldn't fit,Had to grind one a little bit to make it work (where the handle contacts the Piston).If My handle got broken I wouldn't know which one to buy. Besides that the MC works great and it's a brand new part not 20 something years old .Try one
    So are you saying the brake lever that came with it doesn't fit? I might still buy one, I've looked at a Hayabusa MC and some GSXR MC's, not to mention the knockoff Brembo radial MC's from Thailand, and I still like that aftermarket one best, what bike have you got yours installed on mate?

And yeah, there's a screw holding the lever in, I don't know why anyone would think it difficult to remove?Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by spots25 View Post
      i'm rather curious how that master cylinder doesn't look like the lever comes off. There's a bolt, just like any other master I've ever seen. It also looks like there's a place to mount a mirror
      Mine has a mirror mount, but the lever is held by a pin not a bolt. I bet you could get it out if needed to replace the lever (after thinking about it), but mine at least isn't a bolt and nut. I like it if for no other reason than the metal looks better than the OEM plastic.

Comment

Hmm. That looks almost exactly like the one on my 83 550...

The only thing I see wrong is there's no boot to cover the lever hinge. That boot keeps the lever from vibrating and making an annoying pinging sound when you don't have your hand on the clutch lever...

The threaded hole is where the mirror mounts.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Here's a couple of pics next to stock for reference.

Comment

it doesnt look that bad really.....

Comment

The height is the main thing. It's REALLY tall, which caused fairing problems, BUT it looks really good. The metal is much nicer than OEM plastoc.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                The height is the main thing. It's REALLY tall, which caused fairing problems, BUT it looks really good. The metal is much nicer than OEM plastoc.
                I just measured and it's actually almost 10mm LOWER profile than the stock (I would ASSUME stock) one on mine if measured from the handlebar side. About 5mm shorter from lever side. How long ago did you get yours Doc? Think they changed it or maybe the M/C on your model was just alot lower than mine?
                Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                  I just measured and it's actually almost 10mm LOWER profile than the stock (I would ASSUME stock) one on mine if measured from the handlebar side. About 5mm shorter from lever side. How long ago did you get yours Doc? Think they changed it or maybe the M/C on your model was just alot lower than mine?
                  You could well be right. The MC on mine when I got it might not have been stock either. It was a fairly low profile, plastic, and rectangular. Did the GS1000 (82) come stock with the old school round one? I bought my MC (the one we are discussing) about 5 months ago I guess, it's HUGE.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Has NO mirror post, otherwise probably Ok

Looks like a mount for a mirror on the top to the left of the reservoir?
                    thread size might be an issue though

Comment

It DOES have a mirror mount, threads consistent with stock
                      The lever CAN be removed/replaced. Chef and I removed mine multiple times while bleeding. It says somewhere on the ad that the MC is compatible with a certain honda model lever; dont remember which.

I think it looks good. As Nessism mentioned, it is a little softer, because its 14mm. Some people prefer the feel over a "wooden" feel of a 5/8". I've never compared to the original 5/8" mc I had because my pistons weren't functioning correctly at the time, so I can't comment.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM. Reason: edited to correct stock piston size

Comment

You need more lever travel to generate the same force... this could be good or bad.

Good:

Brings the "bite point" closer to the bar, good for small hands
                        Should actually result in less "squeeze" force needed for a given force at the pads (but you will need to move the lever further to generate it).

Bad:

Not a lot unless you can get the lever all the way back to the bars & not generate enough force at the pads.

Neutral:

It will change lever feel which is subjective. Some people may like the extra modulation, some may not.

JC I fully intend to have a pull on your lever on Sunday... (oo er haha)

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

LOL!!! ok Dan.

I'm still not entirely sure that everything is as stiff as it could be... one caliper seems to be generating more heat than the other, and I get a little tiny bit of pump action going on. But largely it feels ok to me

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll buy it, and if it's not up to par on my GS1000, it'll still be good on one of my honda CB750's. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

hey terry make sure you update us on how well it works....

i would get one for my gs1000 too since my MC is getting near the end of its life too...

Comment

For $60 it isn't a good buy. You can buy a vast assortment of Nissin and Tokico masters for under $25. Hell, I just bought a new Brembo radial master not too long ago for $60.

Comment

Working...
                                X