Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried one of these EBay Master Cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried one of these EBay Master Cylinders?

I think the MC on my recently acquired 1980 GS1000E might be buggared, and I was looking for rebuild kits on EBay when I saw this:

Now it says it has a 14mm piston and I would have thought that the stocker would be bigger, but apart from that, it looks like a pretty good unit for 50 bucks, so I'm wondering, do I rebuild my 28 year old MC, or just buy a shiny new one?

I'm not worried about originality, or I'd despair for the Yoshimura 1085 kit and race cams that the PO thoughtlessly installed, ha ha! Cheers, Terry.

Has NO mirror post, otherwise probably Ok

Comment

I have one. Very happy with it. The two knocks I can think of are, the lever is built in, doesn't look like it can be replaced. Drop your bike and break the lever. You need a new MC. The other is that it's big as a house, I mean a good 3 inches tall. I had to hack on my cheap Emgo fairing to get it to fit. That being said, I still have the rubber brake lines from the PO (to eventually be replaced with SS) and I rarely use more than 2 fingers to stop.

Comment

I THINK it does Lynn. Mine does. Might not be visible in that pic. I'd ask the seller about that first.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
          The two knocks I can think of are, the lever is built in, doesn't look like it can be replaced.
          Just curious why not?
          Looks like it has a locknut on a pivot? Can't the pivot be knocked out the top?
          I would be interested if an adjustable lever could be installed in it?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Just curious why not?
            Looks like it has a locknut on a pivot? Can't the pivot be knocked out the top?
            I would be interested if an adjustable lever could be installed in it?
            It's a pivot. On second thought, I spoke too quickly. I bet a crafty person could get that pin out and replace the lever. It's just not MADE to be replaced.

Comment

that looks like a good idea actually....

i wouldnt mind replacing mine

Comment

Member JC here has one of those masters and it seems to work ok. Keep in mind though that GS bikes with dual disc brake systems take a 5/8" master cylinder; 14mm is smaller and will create a softer than stock lever feel. You can mitigate this reality by installing braided-stainless/Teflon brake lines since they expand less when under pressure as compared to rubber lines.
                Last edited by Nessism; 06-19-2008, 08:21 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My brother has one on his '78 1000 and I just recieved mine that will be used on my '80 1100. He seems quite happy with his.

Comment

I should have a Kawasaki 5/8" MC going for not a lot soon if anyone wants it... Think it's off an 87 Ninja.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

what kind of shape is it in? got any pics?

rebuilt? stock internals? any problems with it?

just being thorough.....

Comment

Hmmmnnn, 5/8" is around 16mm, so now I don't know, I like the look of it, and some of you guys are telling me it works fine, but, well, if anything, I'd rather go bigger than smaller?

I'll probably install braided lines anyway (I've got a set hanging in my garage somewhere) but I'm hoping this bike will be pretty fast, so I'm also thinking about buying/making some wider triple trees and front axle etc so I can install either a set of Nissin GSXR 4 pot calipers or some old Brembo twin potters that I've had sitting in a box since the dawn of time.

My other infatuation (which also explains my extended absences from this site) is old SOHC Honda CB750's, and last Christmas vacation I temporarily installed a GSXR1000 MC with braided lines to the crappy old twin single piston front brakes and first time I grabbed the lever I nearly threw myself over the handlebars! Of course I don't know what size piston was in that MC (it wasn't mine) but I imagine it was a bit bigger than 14MM? Maybe I should buy another GSXR MC? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Untested & not right now are the answers to those questions at the moment....
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

i'm rather curious how that master cylinder doesn't look like the lever comes off. There's a bolt, just like any other master I've ever seen. It also looks like there's a place to mount a mirror

Comment

That's what I'm using on mine.I couldn't find a good OEM anywhere on earth so I bought one of these (could be same Seller).The only thing the orginal brake handle wouldn't fit,Had to grind one a little bit to make it work (where the handle contacts the Piston).If My handle got broken I wouldn't know which one to buy. Besides that the MC works great and it's a brand new part not 20 something years old .Try one

Comment

Working...
                              X