Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried one of these EBay Master Cylinders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two auctions for the same M/C. One is $40.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
      For $60 it isn't a good buy. You can buy a vast assortment of Nissin and Tokico masters for under $25. Hell, I just bought a new Brembo radial master not too long ago for $60.
      Was it a genuine Brembo MC mate, or one of those EBay knockoffs? I see heaps of them for cheap, but they look a bit rough around the edges? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

genuine brembo...some guy parted out his racing stock and I stumbled across it. Still in original packaging.

You can't find THAT deal all the time, but you can always find a good deal on a Tokico of Nissin.

Comment

Yeah that sounds great! The guy who had a Hayabusa MC from a bike with only 7 miles on the clock got back to me, I asked him if it was damaged because in the pic it looked like the reservoir lid was scarred, but he assured me that it is like new, so I'm thinking about it.

My only prob is that there's no mirror mount either, and of course it's designed for "clip on" style bars, so the reservoir will be at an odd angle on my "superbike" bars. Same same for GSXR MC's with remote reservoirs, I had one on my BMW R100RS and it was sensational, the remote reservoir was pretty much hidden under the fairing, so it didn't look odd like it might on my unfaired GS1000. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Look for a TL1000 master...R for 5/8 and S for 1/2...and run that. You'll be able to whip up an clamp in short order to suspend the reservoir at a proper angle. I've done this on nearly every bike I've owned (always superbike bars/clubmans). the mirror mount is tricky. They make clamps that allow for putting a mirror on, but I've always ended up fabricating my own.

You can also look for older clip-on bikes and sport bikes...they have one-piece masters that are at a more suitable angle.

I'll also add that I have run 1300R/SV1k masters at odd angles with no issues. You don't get the fluid supply you really need, but it works.

Comment

Fly-n-cycle sell the stand alone clamps to mount your mirror... I looked at them but eventually went with bar end mirrors.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I couldn't find a TL1000 MC on EBay, but then I thought, "What about a Bandit? They've got "conventional" handlebars?" Here's one on EBay that looks good, there are more, starting at around 30 bucks, but they look like they've been in the weather, so I'd rather spend the extra $$$ and pick up a good one? Cheers, Terry.

Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Got it! The seller had a "make an offer" deal going, so I offered 65 bucks and he took it.

He's invoiced me $62.50 for USPS Priority airmail though, so I've questioned that, it only cost me 40 bucks for a big box of stuff from Tom MLC, (thanks again mate!) and another 40 for a set of hot GS1000 cams and adjustable sprockets I won on EBay, so $62.50 just for a MC seems a bit "over the top"?

Does anyone know what size piston is used on the GSF1200 (Bandit) MC? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Bandit should be 5/8" too I would think.... Just a guess though.

If you need to get him to ship it to one of us & then us to you it *may* save you something on shipping.

YOu can check it out yourself at www.usps.com all of OZ is the same rate no matter the postcode.

If it's small enough & can go 1st class (under 4lb I think) instead of priority mail then it will be much cheaper.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

All of the zooks and Kawasaki's that came with the 6-pot Tokico calipers are have 5/8" master cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                        Yeah that sounds great! The guy who had a Hayabusa MC from a bike with only 7 miles on the clock got back to me, I asked him if it was damaged because in the pic it looked like the reservoir lid was scarred, but he assured me that it is like new, so I'm thinking about it.

My only prob is that there's no mirror mount either, and of course it's designed for "clip on" style bars, so the reservoir will be at an odd angle on my "superbike" bars. Same same for GSXR MC's with remote reservoirs, I had one on my BMW R100RS and it was sensational, the remote reservoir was pretty much hidden under the fairing, so it didn't look odd like it might on my unfaired GS1000. Cheers, Terry.
                        I've got a 'busa master cylinder on my GS750EF and it works great. The angle is a little off but the only concern is having to turn the bars slightly when I'm changing the fluid. Otherwise it comes very close to spilling. I used the stock back half of my MC mount to retain the mirror mount.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          Bandit should be 5/8" too I would think.... Just a guess though.

If you need to get him to ship it to one of us & then us to you it *may* save you something on shipping.

YOu can check it out yourself at www.usps.com all of OZ is the same rate no matter the postcode.

If it's small enough & can go 1st class (under 4lb I think) instead of priority mail then it will be much cheaper.
                          Thanks mate, I sent him another email today (5 days after I questioned the shipping price) and attached your link, his shipping charge is for shipping me an item that weighs 11 pounds, which I think is probably 9 or 10 pounds more that the MC weighs, ha ha! I'll await his reply.........

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
                            I've got a 'busa master cylinder on my GS750EF and it works great. The angle is a little off but the only concern is having to turn the bars slightly when I'm changing the fluid. Otherwise it comes very close to spilling. I used the stock back half of my MC mount to retain the mirror mount.

/\/\ac
                            Thanks mate, that's what I would have done if I hadn't found the Bandit MC. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

John, the EBay seller, got back to me today and offered to cut 30 bucks off the shipping, so I Paypalled him right away. Must be a good bloke, after all.

Comment

Well the 1200 Bandit MC arrived today, and I'm very impressed. It looks almost new, and as a bonus, it came with all the hoses, which I think might just fit on my GS1000S!

I've just hung it on the bars and it doesn't look any bulkier than the GS1000 item, so on the weekend I'll swap them out and report back once I've ridden it. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Working...
                                X