No announcement yet.

I guess I'm just screwed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember, you're not actually rebuilding the carbs, you're cleaning out all the gunk and replacing the O rings.

That involves taking off a bunch of small pieces and getting them back where they belong. Keep it organized, and don't loose anything.

Pretty easy, actually, since all 4 carbs are the same
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

if you are a fireman i think i would be more worried about running into a fire than rebuilding carbs. just do what everybody on here has said and you will be fine. the more you work on it yourself the more confident you'll be. and there is no greater feeling than knowing you did it yourself.

Comment

Multiple thanks...

As far as the fireman thing, at least I know what I'm dealing with there...hot heat and using water. Just like that, the first time is always the scariest. I guess it's the unknown. I do have a buddy on a different shift that does some mechanic work and he's the one that told me to be careful, it can be a booger. Maybe he knows my experience of mechanics, and maybe not. I would like to know where I get the O rings for the cleaning and replacement. Any good ideas, or should I just go to bikebandit and the such? Thanks again for the awesome support,...hope to have it at the station this week to work on.

Craig in KY

P.S. I'll get some pics of this bad boy when I'm about to "do the deed".

Comment

Originally posted by en12gine View Post
          As far as the fireman thing, at least I know what I'm dealing with there...hot heat and using water. Just like that, the first time is always the scariest. I guess it's the unknown. I do have a buddy on a different shift that does some mechanic work and he's the one that told me to be careful, it can be a booger. Maybe he knows my experience of mechanics, and maybe not. I would like to know where I get the O rings for the cleaning and replacement. Any good ideas, or should I just go to bikebandit and the such? Thanks again for the awesome support,...hope to have it at the station this week to work on.

Craig in KY

P.S. I'll get some pics of this bad boy when I'm about to "do the deed".
          Look in basscliff's mega welcome. A member has a website cycleorings.com. get the o-rings, and get the tiny washers for the pilot screw too. If you lose one while cleaning they are impossible to find at the hardware store.

Comment

o ring around the rosey...

I've found only one place so far that carries oring kits for doing the carb clean, and that's cycleorings.com from this forum. the problem is, he can only tell me that he's measured the orings for up to 1986 models, and is not sure if they will fit my 1997 katana 600. Anyone know where else I can go to get these things quick, or are these orings the same? I've got backup here at work, and we're ready to go this weekend. Looking forward to this challenge!

Comment

Working...
            X