I feel dumb for having to ask this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel dumb for having to ask this...

My clutch cable broke on me yesterday on my way home from work. I have a replacement ordered already, and I plan on doing the work myself. Only problem is I have ZERO idea how to go about changing it. The part where it connects to the clutch lever is pretty obvious, but I have no clue as to where the cable goes from there, i.e., where and how it connects to whereever it is that it connects to. Do I have to remove the tank to thread the new cable down? Do I have to take the motor apart at all? Any help (especially pics) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks y'all. =)

Preface with "If it's like my bike"

You'll probably have to remove the tank to route it. It connects right by the place you fill the oil. That lever down there with the cable and the rubber boot.

Comment

Look at your right foot while seated on the bike. There is the "mystery" end of your clutch cable.

Comment

Remove the tank, put the replacement in as you remove the old cable so it exactly follows the same routing around frame tubes, carburetors, etc..
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm looking at the service manual (Thanks, Cliff!!!!), and I'm seeing the "mystery end" (lol), so that looks easy enough. But it seems that they have part of the engine (a cover?) removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
            I'm looking at the service manual (Thanks, Cliff!!!!), and I'm seeing the "mystery end" (lol), so that looks easy enough. But it seems that they have part of the engine (a cover?) removed?
            No need to remove the cover. When they photo and write manuals, often times...there doing more than one thing at a time, so they have things torn apart for other reasons.

Comment

Get you new cable, undo the seat and take your tank off.

Follow your snapped clutch cable with the new one and place the new one where the old one layed.

Once fitted (one end the handle bars the other just above you right foot pegs) refit the tank and lock the seat down.

Sit back and have a cold beer or a cup of tea* and think that was a job well done.

Suzuki mad.

*delete which is not applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                Sit back and have a cold beer or a cup of tea* and think that was a job well done.
                I live in the South, and am of German blood. I wonder which of the two I'll choose. ;-)

Thanks for the help guys. I'll let y'all know how it turns out once I get the part in.

Comment

Not sure about the "81" models, but on my "85" 550, the clutch cable connects to the countershaft cover. The cover must be removed to install the new cable
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yep. All the guys that are telling you to look for a lever on the right side have the big bikes. Your cable comes into the cover above the shifter. Take that cover off and you should be able to figure it out.

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                    It connects right by the place you fill the oil.
                    Nope.

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Look at your right foot while seated on the bike. There is the "mystery" end of your clutch cable.
                    Mmmmm, no.

(one end the handle bars the other just above you right foot pegs)
                    The handlebar part is correct...The other part, not so much...
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                      Yep. All the guys that are telling you to look for a lever on the right side have the big bikes. Your cable comes into the cover above the shifter. Take that cover off and you should be able to figure it out.
                      Nice. =) Thanks dude!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Odinist View Post
                        I live in the South, and am of German blood. I wonder which of the two I'll choose. ;-)
                        Well, seeing that Suzuki mad is in the UK, he would probably have a warm beer. LOL

J/K

Comment

Working...
                        X