snaprings in carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snaprings in carbs

so I'm rejetting my GS700, and finally managed to get the snaprings that hold the needles in out. I've got the new needles in, and am having a very difficult time getting the snaprings back in and properly seated.

so, how important are the snaprings? lots of bikes don't seem to have anything like them, just a needle in a slide.

also, the new needles are a hugely different taper. was i sent the proper ones? stock on the right, DJ on the left.

The plastic piece that holds down the needle only fits in one way - you need to align the nib on the plastic piece with a corrosponding hole in the slide. Maybe you don't have the parts fit together properly?

Regarding the needle, DJ needle is quite different no doubt. They have been building jet kits for a long time so I'd assume they know what they are doing.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

hmm, the new mains are quite a bit smaller as far as outside diameter goes, I wonder why. maybe 2/3 the size of the stock ones.

Comment

Outside diameter does not mean anything. It's the hole in the middle that counts.

The different taper will allow more fuel sooner. Do you have pods and a pipe on your bike? If not, and you are running stock equipment, this bike is going to run rather rich. If you have pods and a pipe, it should be just fine.

As mentioned, the plastic piece has offset nubs on the bottom, so it only fits one way. When the nubs match the holes in the slide, it goes right in. The snap rings are rather critical. Without them, there is nothing to hold the needle in place. I have a set of snapring pliers that came with an electronic tool set, but many have said that the 5 1/2 inch needle-nose pliers from Sears work rather well. You might have to round off the square corners on the tip so they fit the holes in the snap rings better, but the pliers are great. Another option is the set of bent snap ring pliers from Z1 enterprises. I have not used them, but they look like they should do the job.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Drop the circlip in the hole and hook the plastic piece like you would a horseshoe. Tap the slide until the holes on the circlip are off to the side a little bit with a solid surface under it. Now put in the needle nose pliers or circlip pliers in the holes and squeeze and push down at the same time.

I little trick with the plastic piece. The dark side goes over the little hole and it should pop right in.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Many bikes have nothing holding the needle down. My EX250 and KLX650 both have CV carbs without anything holding it down.

I found a $2 pair of pliers at Napa that do the trick, it's just still not easy...

And yep, it's got a 4-1 header and a can off an um... R6? and is getting pods. I'm not dropping the engine to get the airbox back in, and it's in 2 pieces anyway.

Comment

You're in California. It's not a slew of bikes. It's a grip
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I've heard of people using that term, but haven't really heard it... I guess it's a socal thing, and Bakersfield is much more socal than SLO.

On the other hand, I'm hella norcal

Comment

How'd ya like those hella record high temps in San Louis Obispo. 113 was it?

Comment

I live in Atascadero, go to school in SLO. The mercury thermometer we have hit 114 yesterday, didn't see exactly what today but I'd guess more like 110... it's in the shade, too.

At least it's a dry heat. Moving a washer and dryer isn't much fun and I just did.

Oh, and we've yet to turn on the AC. Hit mid 80s in the house, which is acceptable for a cheap bastard like myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X