Rick's Motorsports Stator & R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick's Motorsports Stator & R/R

Got a new stator & R/R from Rick's Motorsports this afternoon. Looks good except the R/R is the smaller size package/heatsink that my '82 GK had. I was expecting a package the size of the Honda SH232-12. Anybody gotten one of these from Rick's? Just wondering? It is black annodized and has a USA sticker on it. Could it be?!?!?!?!? We actually still make something in this country?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 07:13 PM.

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. Giblet,

I always get my r/r from Mr. duaneage. It's the best $40 you'll ever spend. I've only seen the pictures of the Rick's and they look like the stock package that came with my bike.

Old one on the left. "New" Honda r/r upgrade from Mr. duaneage on the right.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I had one of those after market RRs on my bike when I got it. Died one day and I barely made it home. It was so hot I burnt my fingers. I don't see sending 250 watts through it for long. Summertime is not kind to them, must be the smaller heat sinks.

The RR must power the bike under all circumstances, and that means sending up to 15 amps at 14 volts through it. All that power generates heat and you need fins to dissipate it.

I hope it works out for you. If not, I'll have a Honda available to replace it. They are rated for 450 watts and easily handle the Suzuki electrical system.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Question on duaneage R/R

After hooking up duaneage R/R does the same testing apply as per stator papers or since it has a sensor wire do different tests need to be done?

Comment

same tests apply

Comment

duaneage, check your PM.

Thanks, Steve

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
            I had one of those after market RRs on my bike when I got it. Died one day and I barely made it home. It was so hot I burnt my fingers. I don't see sending 250 watts through it for long. Summertime is not kind to them, must be the smaller heat sinks.

The RR must power the bike under all circumstances, and that means sending up to 15 amps at 14 volts through it. All that power generates heat and you need fins to dissipate it.

I hope it works out for you. If not, I'll have a Honda available to replace it. They are rated for 450 watts and easily handle the Suzuki electrical system.

Comment

Hey, so having more fun with your 1000, I see.
              Got it all painted up purdy again, and now you want it charrge the battery too, eh?

I had one of those narrower R/R (probably Ricks) on my GK. It will work, just a matter of how long it will last.

Mine was only putting out about 13.0 volts, seemed to rectify & regulate but at 13.0 volts (yes, I checked grounds and connections and such). After a while I replaced it with a Dunnage/Honda/Sinndonwhatever unit.

One recommendation I would have about installing the Dunnage/Honda/Sinndonwhateverginsue unit on a GS (GS shafty especailly) with r/r on bottom of battery box about an inch and a half above the swing arm bracing, if that is what you are concidering: Is to hacksaw (or machine) the foward mounting hole into a slot extending to the edge. Makes the mounting of the unit much easier when can get the foward bolt started and turned in most of the way without the r/r unit in place restricting the access for your hand, then slide the r/r unit in place. The rear bolt has more access clearence.

And, what other sort of fun you having these days?

Last edited by Redman; 06-21-2008, 09:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Fun?!?!?!?

Dave, you must admit, I'm doing better. At least, I haven't threatened to set this one on fire, yet . Not sure what started this whole ordeal. The stator & R/R (both Elektrex) were previously installed on the GK. A couple of weeks ago I noticed significant dimming of the headlight with turn signal flashes. I decided to check things out when there was a small hesitation on cranking. Battery was almost out of water. I'm not the most diligent about that aspect of maintainance & I'm the reason they invented maintainance free batteries. Topped off the water but that didn't help anything and as I began checking things out I discovered a crispy black stator. I thought the R/R was bad as well but, well, lets just say thinking is not something I should be involved in. Turns out my R/R was OK and all I really needed was new stator. Should have asked more questions about Rick's R/R. Just assumed it would be like the Elektrex one. The original one off the GK was skinny like the one from Rick's. I have the Shindengen SH232-12 R/R on there now. I'm measuring ~12.8V at idle and 14.6 at 3K RPM. Took Michelle for a brisk 50 mile ride through the country and the battery was showing a healthy ignition off, 13.0V when we returned . Seems Michelle's still a GK kind of girl. May not get the Honda 919 after all. I'm being directed toward a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I suppose I can live with that if I get to keep the G.

Any how, I don't really care what the G does, so long as it runs like a bat out of hell every day .

PS. As for fun, Got Zach all graduated. 10 weeks to go and he's off to college! Yippee! One more good reason for road trips to east Texas. OH and I forgot to mention the killer deal I got on a 50" plasma. Wait? Am I broke yet?

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Hey, so having more fun with your 1000, I see.
                Got it all painted up purdy again, and now you want it charrge the battery too, eh?

And, what other sort of fun you having these days?
                Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X