Clutch Spring bolt....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Spring bolt....

I snapped it off when tightening. I tried to search for a thread but could not find one.

After I get the stud out should I order a new bolt from Bikebandit or do you think I can find one at the hardware store?

Please tell me some one has done this before...:-?

Thanks!

One of the six clutch spring bolts?
    I'd get one from Suzuki.
    Check here Part number 01500-06167
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes one of the six. I think I will replace them all since I could have twisted them all and weakened them....darn cheap torque wrench!

Then part number you gave me is for a fuel cooler? They have them on bikebandit's website from the schematic.

thanks for your help!

Comment

Also...I am assuming I must use and Easy Out tool to get this out? Or does anyone have a better/easier way?

Thanks again for your help

Comment

you can buy those bolts from a hardware place (that sells metric stuff), either a regular steel-bolt but a high-tensile-steel would be better, no need to buy oem
          as for the size its a M6x1.0pitch
          not sure of the length, take one out and measure
          replace them all, they are old

depending on where the bolt snapped you may be able to use long nose pliers to get it out
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            you can buy those bolts from a hardware place (that sells metric stuff), either a regular steel-bolt but a high-tensile-steel would be better, no need to buy oem
            as for the size its a M6x1.0pitch
            not sure of the length, take one out and measure
            replace them all, they are old

depending on where the bolt snapped you may be able to use long nose pliers to get it out
            My Clymer manual mentioned that these have a special temper on them. I dunno if they're hard or soft or what. My impression is that they felt soft.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Do you need to have soft or hard? I am not sure about tempers and why you would want something soft are weak, unless it has something to do with flexibility or something like that.

Yes I would say they were soft alright....

Comment

hey gadang, if you get that bike on the road we are having a midwest meet on the 29th for a ride down to missouri and back.......

Comment

Originally posted by gadang View Post
                  Do you need to have soft or hard? I am not sure about tempers and why you would want something soft are weak, unless it has something to do with flexibility or something like that.

Yes I would say they were soft alright....
                  Usually when you leave a piece soft, you're trying to prevent brittle or fatigue failures, or some kind of failure in the mating part. In this case, the only thing that makes sense to me is that the bolts are intentionally designed to break before stripping the aluminum clutch basket. A thread repair on the clutch basket might weaken it, and would probably unbalance it.

If psyguy has had satisfactory results with hard bolts from a hardware store, then I guess it can work. In my case, I was going to be ordering springs anyway, so I bought the dirt cheap OEM screws too. Just playing it safe.

I just wanted to make sure you knew about the warning in the (non-factory) service manual.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by gadang View Post
                    Also...I am assuming I must use and Easy Out tool to get this out? Or does anyone have a better/easier way?
                    Have you got the inner hub off to see if you can get on it with a vice grip ?

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

When I did a similar thing on my EX250 I just pulled off the cover and the rest of the bolt was just chilling in there, and came out easily. I replaced ALL of the bolts with the same hardware store piece, to make sure that it stayed balanced. Didn't have any problems with it, but I can't make any assurances that you won't.

If you're lucky, it'll come right out without any effort - it probably broke right at the head, so it may just require a pair of pliers or even fingers.

Comment

Nope it is recessed in the hole maybe a thread or two. I can't get a hold of it with anything. Has anyone ever been able to use and easy out or anything else to get it out?

Comment

yup, an ezyout would be appropriate

neither my suzuki nor haynes mention anything special about those bolts
                          i used high-tensile-steel bolts for a piece of mind
                          high-tensile means they are not brittle but "elastic", maybe thats what clymer calls for?

ALL of the oem bolts in my case had a crack just under the head so i assume the oem is just a mild-steel bolt as high-tensile bolts shouldnt crack like that - they would strip the threads in the alu basket first
                          GS850GT

Comment

That's the right part number. Don't know why it's called that.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You might be encountering a part number conflict related to BikeBandit's goofy proprietary numbering system. If you punch in a Suzuki part number, make sure you are on the right BikeBandit page.

A left-handed drill bit would very likely spin that old bolt stub right out. I got a set of these for about $5 a while back, and they are extremely handy -- you start drilling (in reverse), and they usually catch at some point and spin the fastener out.

I detest EZ-outs, and do not allow them in my garage or anywhere near anything I care about.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X