Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch releasing when hot

Hi guys,
    has anyone come across this before, after a ride of about 70 miles when sitting with the clutch pulled in the clutch seems to start engaging itself even though I am still holding the lever open ? any ideas ?

thanks
    Photos

sounds like your cable is starting to fray at the lever--just for starters

Comment

Clutch releasing when hot

ooops sorry forgot to say the bike is a 1980 GS550L

Photos

Comment

good start, but why does it only do it when it is hot ?

Comment

i would think becasue teh oil is thicker when cold, and takes more time to get between everything? :twisted:

Comment

so are you suggesting that I need to use a thicker oil ? I am not sure what I put in last time

Comment

No, I suggest you follow Slopoke's advice first, but also, most GS' clutches will get 'tighter adjustment' when warm vs cold engine. Don't know why, but just does. I can adjust my clutch cold, and it will be fine until it warms up, then seem like it is not releasing enough. So I set my 'fine tune' adjustment when the engine is hot. :twisted:

Comment

It wouldn`t hurt to remove the clutch and take a look. Look at your steel plates and see if they are burned blue or discolored. If you have a flat plate check and make sure they are perfectly flat...if not flat replace them. If you only have discoloration you can bead blast them. Now look at your fibers to see if any are cracked or broke....smell of them...smell burned? Now take a set of calipers and measure the thickness of them and see you shop manual for specs. If they smell burned check the total length of your springs...... MY guess is that you have a couple of broke fibers....just been there and done that before. But do as the others have said do make sure you have enough free play in your clutch before all this

Comment

thanks for that , I had the clutch out a month or so ago and applied a little fettling to the plates as there was a little burring but it was very small. I didn't check the size which may be a good thing to check.

Comment

While you have it out, check the basket for worn teeth, this will also cause a problem like this... :twisted:

Comment

ok, one more question ..when adjusting the clutch what is the difference in adjustment between the adjuster on the engine case and the adjuster on the lever ?

Comment

Working...
                      X