Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I'm adapting another set of carbs to the '79 750E...any requests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know if the manifolds were built to compensate a difference in the carburetor spacing vs. the intake port spacing. Nix on that idea, then.

Comment

Kris V crammed some 40mm Mikuni flatsides in a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 (heavily modded). Boots stretched to the hilt but it runs.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I've never broke a float tower but others have had sucess with JB Weld.
        JB Weld wouldn't hold for me in that gas bath. I think I'll have to do the brass tube method.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
          I didn't know if the manifolds were built to compensate a difference in the carburetor spacing vs. the intake port spacing. Nix on that idea, then.
          The 79 750 carbs will be the same spacing as any GS made before 80. This includes the 750 (duh) the 79 850, and the 78-79 1000 i do believe. They MAY have swapped to CVs on the 79, but i *think* they were still using VMs. The 550 spacing i do believe is a lil bit smaller, but i may be wrong. Never had an interest in the 550, so ive never bothered to examine the possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            The 79 750 carbs will be the same spacing as any GS made before 80. This includes the 750 (duh) the 79 850, and the 78-79 1000 i do believe. They MAY have swapped to CVs on the 79, but i *think* they were still using VMs. The 550 spacing i do believe is a lil bit smaller, but i may be wrong. Never had an interest in the 550, so ive never bothered to examine the possibility.
            The 550 and 650 spacing is the same.

Comment

So how's the project going Macca? The carb spacing on the CB750 is much like that on the GS550. (I've got 29mm Mikuni Smoothbores on GS550 racks on my CB750 engine in the pic below)

If you need another carb body to re-invigorate your project, let me know, I've got a set in pieces here, and converting GS750/1000's to Honda's old Keihin 28mm CB750 slide carbs was a simple conversion, back in the day. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

I've had too much business lately to work much on the GS. My CB750 carbs have issues, though...one of the floats was completely buggered and one of the float towers was broken. I slapped in a GS float...pretty close but a very tight fit...and epoxied the tower back. Haven't progressed from there.

Right now I'm working on bringing the intake ports out to match the 30mm throttles and manifolds.

Comment

Well keep us posted mate, and if you need Honda carb pieces, let me know!

Comment

...a float and a #1 throttle body would be awesome

Comment

Working...
                    X