2 carbs questions on my '83 1100E,could be simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 carbs questions on my '83 1100E,could be simple

Ok so I was having some issues getting my carbs synched so I pulled them again.
    After a while, you can get this down to 5 minutes.
    I noticed that the # 2 butterfly valve,#2 in the photo. was not all the way closed as the other ones.

I looked in the manual and I don't see where to adjust the butterfly.
    Also while I was looking at the adjusting screws,A,B, and C, I noticed that when I raised A all the way up the spring would raise the arm all the way up but both B & C would not.
    Is this anything important or am just being too anal??
    Thanks for the help.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Doug,

I haven't bench synched my carbs for a while but I checked my notes and found the following...I don't remember writing it so it has been a while.

When you bench synch the idea is to get all the butterflys close to the same opening. People use a trash bag twist tie metal type with paper removed as a good reference because it is thin and soft. I put the tie in a vise grab an end with pliers and streched it to make it straight and uniform. You want to use something soft so you don't scratch the carb bore.

1. Put the wire in #3 and adjust the idle screw for a light drag when the wire is pulled out.

2. Put in carb #4 and adjust for same feel using screw between carbs 3 and 4.

3. Same for carb #2 using screw between carbs 2 and 3.

4. Same for carb #1 using screw btween carbs 1 and 2.

5. Recheck and adjust as needed.

I don't have carbs in front of me but the screws will adjust the butterflies.

Hope this helps.

Adjust
    1982 GS1000S Katana
    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Make sure that the petcock vacuum line from #2 is blocked off or has a good seal to the extended tank.
      You can't adjust #3 carb and set all the others to it.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

#3 is your 'master' carb because that is the one that has the throttle cable attached to it. To adjust #2 to match #3, use the adjuster that you have labeled "B". After adjusting #2, adjust #1 to match 2&3 (using your adjustment "C"), then adjust #4 to match the others (using your adjustment "A"). This will get you close enough for the bike to run long enough to warm up so you can to the sync with the gauges.

I have never understood exactly why, but the manual says the preferred order is 2, 1, 4.
        Note that #1 is slaved off of #2, so any adjustments you make to #2 (at your adjustment "B"), will also affect the readings for carb #1.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.
          The main reason I pulled the carbs again was I was pulling hardly any vacuum out of #2.
          I'm thinking the butterfly being out of adjustment was it.
          I'll readjust as you say Joel and give her a try.
          I quess the spring return issues is only an issue in my eye.:-)
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Of More Importance

Good info. I am more interested in learning how you can get the carbs off in about 5 minutes. I used to be fairly good at turning wrenches but the last time I removed the carbs for a repair the removal part just about wore me out. 83 GS1100E. I made a mental note to sell the bike before I would try to remove those carbs again. I'd be greatful to learn your technique. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I am not sure whether my notes were from my stock carbs or a set of RS flatslides but I know I bench synched my stock carbs at some point because I got them all out of whack one day and needed to pull them off to get them close again beore using the mercury sticks.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by wilmas2cool View Post
                Good info. I am more interested in learning how you can get the carbs off in about 5 minutes. I used to be fairly good at turning wrenches but the last time I removed the carbs for a repair the removal part just about wore me out. 83 GS1100E. I made a mental note to sell the bike before I would try to remove those carbs again. I'd be greatful to learn your technique. Thanks in advance.
                Quite simple. Once you have the seat,tank and side panels off.
                Remove the air filter box,remove the bolts holding the air box,loosen all screws
                holding clamps on,remove choke cable,tilt carbs down,remove manifold side boots,pull carbs toward the right, remove throttle cable and the carbs should slide right out.
                Installation is the reverse.
                I know some have had luck sitting on the bike,but enough practice and it is down flat.
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Carb Removal

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time they have to come off. Still running good for now.

Comment

Working...
                  X