R/R pair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R pair?

So, this may be a really out there question but, what happens if one installs two R/R's in parallel? Would they split the load or would you end up with a "thermal event" of some sort?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 12:37 AM.

If they were absolutely perfect and identical, it might work, but why do you want to do it?

If they were slightly mis-matched, one would do all the shunting of excess current while the other one just sat there. If, by some chance, the one that was doing all the work, the other would be an immediate backup, but you would never know it until it failed, too.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This sounds like a fellow computer geek who has to build in redundancy in case one component fails!
      Good maintenance and good parts will equal high availability for your bike:-).

Comment

Oh, I don't want to do it. It was just one of those things that pop into my head from time to time. I try to learn new things and since I'm not an electronics guy I just ask other folks who might know. Of course, I'm the guy who always has tools, extra plugs, R/R, clutch cable & a quart of oil if I can find space for it. Someone I know used to make fun of me till his clutch cable broke on a ride and guess who had a OEM cable and tools in their GK saddle bags? Probably the only time I'll ever have something he needs. And lastly, there is no substitute for good maintainance.

PS. I might have been a computer geek if I hadn't discovered GS's .

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If they were absolutely perfect and identical, it might work, but why do you want to do it?

If they were slightly mis-matched, one would do all the shunting of excess current while the other one just sat there. If, by some chance, the one that was doing all the work, the other would be an immediate backup, but you would never know it until it failed, too.

Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X