83 gs 650l ? how much fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs 650l ? how much fork oil

thanks to all . going to replace the oil . need to know how much oil to put in each fork , also any tricks to replace the oil thanks

Does your manual not say how much oil, or how to set the level?

From my Clymer manual, page 262:
    Fork oil capacity, 228cc, 7.7 ounces
    Fork oil level, 248mm, 9.8 inches

While it is possible to just drain the old oil and dump some fresh oil in, you might also be due for fork seals, in which case you will need to remove the forks from the bike and take them completely apart. The manual walks you through it step-by-step, so I won't detail it here, but even if you are just replacing the oil, the only proper way to check the level involves having the spring out of the fork tube and the tube held vertical. Hard, but not impossible, to do with the fork still installed on the bike.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      the only proper way to check the level involves having the spring out of the fork tube and the tube held vertical. Hard, but not impossible, to do with the fork still installed on the bike.
      steve...
      just find a decent slope of an appropriate angle and park your bike on a centrestand, nose down, till the forks are vertical, or what :-?

just kidding

there's good threads around detailing the procedure, do a search
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        steve...
        just find a decent slope of an appropriate angle and park your bike on a centrestand, nose down, till the forks are vertical, or what ?
        Actually, I have seen posts on another board where one of the guys had a hoist in the garage and lifted the back of the bike until the forks were vertical.
        He would then remove the springs and lower the bike until the forks were collapsed, and measure the oil.
        Simple soution, it only requires a garage that has a MUCH higher ceiling than mine, and a hoist.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X