Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions

i have a couple of questions. i am looking at a couple of GS bikes. one is a 82 GS1100 GL, and the other is a 81 GS750 L. the 82 has a clear title and the 81 has no title at all. i have questions about swapping parts between the two.

basically the 1100 is missing the carbs, gauges, starter, and coils. can any of these parts be swapped from the 750 to the 1100 and still work properly?

the 1100 also needs a seat and tank, but im not looking at swapping these, i would prefer to find an after market tank to put on it. if anyone is familiar with the way the 1000 yamaha virago tank looks like, that is what i would like to put on it. any leads on if i can find something like that to put on it. and as far as a seat, i would like the same style seat that the virago has on it. CAN THIS BE DONE?

coils would be ok (might need different connectors)
    starter motor should be a straight swap
    the carbs are different, you could fit them but you would have to change all the jets
    gauges would work but may need different connectors
    body parts are not interchangable

with a bit of fabrication anything can be done, the seat, the tank... but why not just buy a virago if you like the styling
    GS850GT

Comment

i kinda figured that the body parts wouldn't be, i can live with that. im tryin to make as much use out of the 750 as i can, the guy that owns it, is going to junk it because he can't get a title for it/doesn't want to spend that much for it. it was more of the comfort of the seat, and the tank, im not a fan of the boxy look that the gs has. want something a little more curvy.

Comment

Originally posted by aruyle79 View Post
        im not a fan of the boxy look that the gs has. want something a little more curvy.
        doesnt that 81 750 have a curvy, round tank?
        GS850GT

Comment

if i remember correctly it was the boxy rectangle shape. but, it was dark when i looked at it, lol.

Comment

well, it may have not been an L model then...
            check out the gallery here and "post a pic of your bike" thread
            GS850GT

Comment

i went and took another look at the 750 this morning in the light, lol. and your right, it is the curvy style. i just couldn't see much in the dark.

is there a 4 into 4 exhaust made for the 1100gl? or even a 4 into 2?

i also found out this morning that the gauges on the 750 are both broke, so i have to put new gauges on the 1100 anyways. any suggestions on where i can find new/old ones. or even aftermarket that will work?
              Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2008, 02:18 PM.

Comment

i went and took another look at the 750 this morning in the light, lol. and your right, it is the curvy style. i just couldn't see much in the dark.

is there a 4 into 4 exhaust made for the 1100gl? or even a 4 into 2?

i also found out this morning that the gauges on the 750 are both broke, so i have to put new gauges on the 1100 anyways. any suggestions on where i can find new/old ones. or even aftermarket that will work?
                4-2 is what it came with.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well, the exhaust is not with the 1100, so i have to replace it. the question is, can the 4 to 1 exhaust from a 750 bolt on to the 1100

Comment

well, the exhaust is not with the 1100, so i have to replace it. the question is, can the 4 to 1 exhaust from a 750 bolt on to the 1100
                    Probably, you may need to make a different rear mount bracket.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

do you have an idea as to where i would start looking to find the original 4 to 2 exhaust or in your opinion is it better to stay with the 4 to 1

Comment

4-2 exhausts come up on ebay from time to time
                        or at the bike wreckers
                        you can also get aftermarket 4-2 exhaust
                        inprinciple all big four exhaust are interchangable, you may only need to fabricate the rear bracket
                        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                        X