No announcement yet.

starter replacement 550E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember right from the other day, the starter cover is 8mm, and the starter mount bolts 10mm.
    You will possibly need a short extension bar for your socket wrench, as the bolts are quite recessed, although if you are doing the remove carbs and cam chain tensioner thing, you may not need that.

You will then need a really good grippy phillips screwdriver to get the 2 big long bolt/screw things off, that hold the starter together (when you have it removed).

When you take it apart, rub some sandpaper on the faces of the brushes, they will seat better.

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
      If I remember right from the other day, the starter cover is 8mm, and the starter mount bolts 10mm.
      The covers are 7 mm--I just bought a 7 mm wrench that fits. They could just be random bolts that someone found with the right threads--since 7 mm is used nowhere else on the bike.

10 sounds more like it for the starter mount bolts and what it looks like from the photo. Those would be some tiny threads if the head were 6 mm. I *do* have a short and long 10 mm socket and an extension, so I should be good. Hopefully this sorts me out.

Comment

It's been over a year since I did it so I don't have the sizes memorized but I do recall that I was very happy to have a selection of socket extensions and universal joints to make it easier to work in the tight confines of the space.

When I first got the bike I only had the tools that I'd had for years which included only about 10 different sockets and in addition to some standard and philips screwdrivers and odds and ends. After struggling with the less than perfect tools for a few weeks I wound up opting to spring for an entire Sears Craftsman socket/box end/allen set, plust a full set of screwdrivers, a couple of "low profile" socket drives and a few universal socket joints. See my tools here. I paid near $300 for the set plus about another $100 for the other items, but I don't regret it for a minute as working on the bike is SOOOO much easier when you've got the tools that are needed to do the job right.

Oh, one more thing...you'll want plenty of light! I picked up $20 corded light at Sears that has a "flashlight" on the end, a flourescent in the middle section and a magnetic clip to "hold" the light for you (if you can find something on the bike thats a) not painted and b) not aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
          When I first got the bike I only had the tools that I'd had for years which included only about 10 different sockets and in addition to some standard and philips screwdrivers and odds and ends. After struggling with the less than perfect tools for a few weeks I wound up opting to spring for an entire Sears Craftsman socket/box end/allen set, plust a full set of screwdrivers, a couple of "low profile" socket drives and a few universal socket joints. See my tools here. I paid near $300 for the set plus about another $100 for the other items, but I don't regret it for a minute as working on the bike is SOOOO much easier when you've got the tools that are needed to do the job right.
          I have a lot of tools ... 2500 miles away.

If you think your bike is reliable, take it away from your garage and your tools for a while and see what happens.

Comment

Starter changed.....same problem. had to remove:

battery, battery box. slide air box back, slide carbs back from cylinder head. remove oil lines......that was it. DID NOT have to remove cam tensioner. the work space is tight, but it can be done. Bike starts right up cold, ride it fer bit, then no start. still trying to figure some things out.

Comment

Well I got it sorted out.
              I loosened the oil cooler line banjo bolt and removed the cam chain tensioner. Carbs stayed on. I can't see how you can do the job without removing one or the other. Well, maybe with a universal joint extension. Incredibly my temporary local dealer had the o-ring in stock (common to most Suzukis) and the cam-chain tensioner gasket (not common at all).

7 mm heads on the cover bolts.
              10 mm heads on the mounting bolts.

I thought this would solve the last of my big problems and then the heatshrink I used to repair the cracked wiring on the stater coils gave up and then a wire shorted to the crankcase ... looks like I'll be riding the bus again until my spare stator arrives.

Comment

Ahh...tough break. But you're making progress. Keep at it! Use that bus ride as motivation...I know I did!

Comment

Working...
                X