well it runs but has problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well it runs but has problems

just got done with the topend rebuild. started it and smokes like hell. checked the plugs and all were black as the ace of spades. i'm guessing that the po just kept fating her up to keep her running with the low compression. i also have an oil leak between the head and the block. i'll bet the retangle oring moved. guess i will take the carbs back off and see where the needles are set. hopefully wont have to buy new jets. i did'nt run it but about 5 min. thought it might wash out the new rings. sure did respond to throttle better. also put new(used) cams in it the original cams were worn .02 inch below limit. 2 of the valves had more than .oo6 inch clearance. i don't think the vavles were ever checked in 36,000 miles. well i think i will try to fix the rich problem first and then tackle the oil leak last. i know i'm going to have to tear it back down %^$&*(*(&$$##@@.

At least you'll know it's done right. Good luck, dude.

Comment

Which bike we talking about here?

Did you do the rings also?

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
        Which bike we talking about here?

Did you do the rings also?

Suzuki mad
        Agreed, if you did the rings, they'll take a bit to seat, in which case you'll smoke some. But if its BLOWING smoke like a train, Id double check things in the carbs, and if you're pulling the head off again, check that your rings are lined up right.

Comment

I'm going to be rude here.

What did you do when you refurbished the head? Reseat the valves, swap the cams, valve guide seals, valve guides, new cylinder head gasket and tunnel seal. None or all of the above.

You would have also started her on choke so after 5 minutes the plugs will be black with soot from running rich. She will also burn the residue oil and dirt out after a rebuild from where you worked on her.

The oil leak is a problem.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

all of the above was done on the head. i'm pretty sure that the smoke is excess fuel. only had to put the choke on half way for it to start then turned it off as soon as it fired. rings should be lined up right as long as they did not move in the ring compressors. ran the engine above 2000 rpm for the 5 or so minutes i ran it. was more worried about washing out the new rings than anything else. did'nt have time to look at it today maybe i'll have more time later in the week. i'm trying to get my race car ready to sell. if anybody wants a good bracket car i got what you want. i am almost sure that the oil leak is from the oring between the cylinder and head because that is my kind of luck. but hey atleast i'll know how to do it better having done it twice. the glass is half full repeat as nessesary.

Comment

make sure you break in those rings or you'll have to tear it down again.

id say just ride it hard to break in the rings, and check your problems after that. fix that oring before, not that hard.

Comment

i got a chance to move the needles tonight. moved them down 2 steps and that got rid of the smoking issue. i think i made it a little to lean as it has a dead spot turning the throttle, but haven't put the pods back on for the test. now to tear down the head and fix the oil leak.

Comment

Working...
                X