Cramming for my electrics final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
    Reality check - it's a simple, finite, and measurable system.
    OK, when you get that nailed down, you will have to consider this more of a pop-quiz than your 'electrics final'.

For your 'final', we are going to run you through the schematic on my GoldWing.
    The main wiring diagram is shown on a single fold-out page in the manual (11x17 page), but there is also a completely separate manual supplement dedicated to electrical troubleshooting for this bike. The first 14 pages of this manual are dedicated to "How to Use This Manual" . (I am not kidding. ) The rest of this supplement is only another 133 pages, for a total of 147. This is just the electrical section, folks.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      OK, when you get that nailed down, you will have to consider this more of a pop-quiz than your 'electrics final'.

lol - I think I'll pass on that, Steve. Sounds like the joys of the open road and the simplicity of two-wheeled life are accompanied by the mechanical complexity of my wife's minivan. I did change a lightbulb and two brakelights on it last week, but that's as deep as I get. :-) Do you work on those electrics yourself?

Slightly off-topic, I guess, but those minivan lights looked funny, and I'm wodering if you can recommend any online resources (or even a -- what are those off-line reading things called? Oh yeah -- a book!) to get a primer in general automotive electrical systems?

Either way - fair enough - we'll call the GS a "Quiz"

Comment

Do you work on those electrics yourself?
        Fortunately, I have not yet had the need. Beyond the normal stuff like burned out bulbs and trying to add trailer wiring so it does not bother the bike's wiring, there has been no need to delve into the wiring harness. I do have one project in the wings (sorry about the pun) where I will have to get creative, but it's just an idea, so far.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The main wiring diagram is shown on a single fold-out page in the manual (11x17 page), but there is also a completely separate manual supplement dedicated to electrical troubleshooting for this bike. The first 14 pages of this manual are dedicated to "How to Use This Manual" . (I am not kidding. ) The rest of this supplement is only another 133 pages, for a total of 147. This is just the electrical section, folks.

And I think you mentioned fitting a 90 Amp alternator and I wondered why! That "thing" of yours has every possible gooftus macgaftus as stock and some! I just look at the pictures of your Wing and drool!

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            And I think you mentioned fitting a 90 Amp alternator and I wondered why! That "thing" of yours has every possible gooftus macgaftus as stock and some! I just look at the pictures of your Wing and drool!
            Ah, so he's got the rare factory installed blender, then?

Comment

Ah, so he's got the rare factory installed blender, then?
              ...and the microwave, the coffee maker, the toe warmers and the auto-massage back rest.

Actually the previous owner installed the 90-amp alternator and most of the other accessories. I am most fortunate that he and I have similar tastes.
              I have seen and admired this bike since I joined the GoldWing group back in 2000. He had had the bike for about a year then, and it has always looked gorgeous. I have some serious shoes to fill to keep it looking that way.

(just kidding about the other stuff, but it DOES have toe warmers, and they are factory standard equipment!)

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
              X