Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help on 1996 suzuki intruder please

Hi,

I would appreciate some assistance please!
    You guys are great for helping people.
    I have just purchased a 1996 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL.
    The bike has only 1400 miles on it.
    It has been sitting for about 8 to 10 months.
    I have been driving before my 1982 gs650L Suzuki and have found that on accelerating it is smooth going and in between shifts it is smooth also.
    On the Intruder I have drained the tank and added some carb cleaner into the tank.

The previous son of the owner has replaced the spark plugs which are the DPR8EA-9.
    I regapped these plugs at .032.
    I have checked the front and rear air filters and they are clean
    Noting that to check the air filters you must remove the tank, the side covers, and the seat.

The Intruder seems to be not as smooth upon acceleration in all the gears.
    Kind of rough acceleration but it does get up to speed.
    Also, when I release my hand on the throttle, there is a popping/back firing from the exhaust like 1 to 3 pops on the release of the throttle.
    I have put on only about 25 miles as of now.
    Please , help with any advise on this problem?

Also, on the rear tire, on the Intruder, it is starting to dry rot.
    Do you know of any place for a good and reasonable price to get a replacement. spoked wheels
    Tires size is 140/90-15M/C 70H Bridgestone g544
    The front tire looks good, but it is 12 years old also, I am guessing it might be time for replacement also. The tire is 80/90-21 48H Bridgestone L307

Is it difficult to remove the wheels?
    Is it difficult to take off the tires and remount them?
    If I wanted to do this, how then would I balance the tires?

Please get back to me with your expertise advise.
    Thanks,
    Mel
    Email: melalice2002@yahoo.com

The situation with running does sound like dirty carbs or injectors. The rough acceleration and the popping on decel are both lean symptoms. Sitting for that long, especially if not stored right, running something through it probably not gonna do it.

Comment

next

whats the next step to correct this problem on this bike

mel

Comment

The Intruder, being a v-twin, will not ever be as smooth as a 4-cylinder GS. Since it is at least running, try running some Seafoam in the gas at about double the recommended concentration for a couple of tanks. It would be best to run the first tank through at one time as the different circuits will be continually getting a fresh supply of treated gas during the ride.

Tires: yes, replace them both as soon as possible. There are many places that will have the tires that you need, but you have to decide whether you are going to change them yourself or have someone else do them. If you do them yourself, just shop for best price on the tires you want. If you are having a shop do them, be sure to find out if they will install tires that you bring in. Many shops will not install tires that you did not buy there. However, they might also install tires that you bought there at no additional charge, so be sure to check.

If you do the tire mounting yourself, there are weights that wrap around the spokes to balance the wheel. You may have to buy a few, if there are not some on the wheels now that you can remove and re-use. It is also possible to use some stick-on weights, but I feel that they detract from the clean looks of a shiny rim.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On spoked wheels, i would suggest you perhaps have the tire dealer change them, as if youve never done them before, its very easy to tweak the rim out of "true".

Comment

Working...
          X