Clear All

backfires pretty much every time you drop the throttle

Hi again

note:

I added a additive LUCAS in the gas tank
    plus i used 'hi test' gas 92 oct . not the regular gas

could this cause problems ???

mel

my backfires pretty much every time you drop the throttle (such as when you are shifting), but it doesn't do this when simply decelerating.

Hi
    New project on my hands

I would appreciate some assistance please!
    You always have great advise and you have the knowledge of the bikes.
    I have just purchased a 1996 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL.
    The bike has only 1400 miles on it.
    It has been sitting for about 8 to 10 months.
    I have been driving before my 1982 gs650L Suzuki and have found that on accelerating it is smooth going and in between shifts it is smooth also.
    On the Intruder I have drained the tank and added some carb cleaner into the tank.

The previous son of the owner has replaced the spark plugs which are the DPR8EA-9.
    I regapped these plugs at .032.
    I have checked the front and rear air filters and they are clean
    Noting that to check the air filters you must remove the tank, the side covers, and the seat.

The Intruder seems to be not as smooth upon acceleration in all the gears.
    Kind of rough acceleration but it does get up to speed.
    Also, when I release my hand on the throttle, there is a popping/back firing from the exhaust like 1 to 3 pops on the release of the throttle.
    I have put on only about 25 miles as of now.
    Please advise on your opinion on what I should do next.

Also, on the rear tire, on the Intruder, it is starting to dry rot.
    Do you know of any place for a good and reasonable price to get a replacement. spoked wheels
    Tires size is 140/90-15M/C 70H Bridgestone g544
    The front tire looks good, but it is 12 years old also, I am guessing it might be time for replacement also. The tire is 80/90-21 48H Bridgestone L307

Is it difficult to remove the wheels?
    Is it difficult to take off the tires and remount them?
    If I wanted to do this, how then would I balance the tires?

Please get back to me with your expertise advise.
    Thanks,
    Mel
    Email: melalice2002@yahoo.com

Valves out of spec and or running slightly lean and or exhaust leaks...

Comment

The premium gas is also likely making matters worse not better. Gas octane is counter intuitive, higher octane is harder to ignite and burns slower, so worst thing for a lean/poorly tuned motor.

Comment

Hi Mr. mela,

Don't forget, there are some general maintenance "how to's" on my little BikeCliff website. See link in sig. There are guides for wheel removal and changing tires. Disclaimer: Always consult your manual. These pages are only "guides" to familiarize the new mechanic with the procedures.

Also, see the links in this thread for what looks like a nifty way to mount tires.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would check some of the local shops for a tire! The 15" can be a bit$h if you have never done it before. Just take your wheel in and have it done
          Read the tutorial Cliff suggested & decide if you feel capable to do the job. Check some of the On line tire vendors for prices.
          www.tiresunlimited.com lots of others

Comment

still having problems

thanks for come back I have currently drained out the 93 octane gas.I am planning to put in the regular gas in the bike.I have drained and put in a new oil filter also.I have drained the rear gear that takes the 90 gearoil.The oil was black.I have already checked the air filters - front andback.To get to the air filters on the bike on the v twinyou must take off the seat and the side covers and thetank.Have you ever changed out your tires yourself?If so, how hard is it to do?The dealers want labor , if I bring the bike in,$89.00 per wheel or if I take off the wheel and bringit to them, they want $45.50 per wheel.Of course, plus the cost of the tires .Do you think when we put new tires on I should put newtubes in at the same time?I have heard from 2 dealers that the Suzuki Intruder800cc does chug on acceleration and some of them ondeceleration pops.Common problems??????

Comment

LEAN!

tire changing isnt that hard. theres a terrible how-to on mr. BassCliff's website, here. i bought my tires from americanmototire.com. good place. decent prices.

Comment

Working...
              X