Oil level sight glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level sight glass

Have any of you ever removed the oil level sight glass in the clutch cover? Mine is starting to get a little murky and was wondering if it is possible to remove it and clean it.

Hap

Re: Oil level sight glass

Originally posted by Hap Call
    Have any of you ever removed the oil level sight glass in the clutch cover? Mine is starting to get a little murky and was wondering if it is possible to remove it and clean it.

Hap
    I think Scotty may have some experience of this......but I think, in his case, removal was accidental. However, you might want to contact him anyway........otherwise, you might want to stuff someone small, like Atilla the Bunny, down there with some Windex and a rag. :twisted:

Comment

too bad you can't use one of these double magnetic brushes - one attached on the inside, the other on the outside, used for keeping the window of a fish acquarium clean. I saw it in a pet shop the other day. Would solve the problem if you could get it in there...

Comment

The whole cover itself is a breeze to remove if you just want to clean the 'window', you don't even have to drain the oil ( about a cup will come out when you remove it, if the bike is on the sidstand). I did mine and reused the gasket without any probs at all.. Hope that helps.. :twisted:

Comment

Re: Oil level sight glass

I've never removed the oil window, but a couple days ago I had the same problem with the window on the front brake master cylinder on the 1150.
          I took some polishing compound and used my dremel with a small buffing wheel and the plastic buffed out clear again. I am guessing you could remove the whole housing and buff the sight glass out without removing it from the cover.

Earl

Originally posted by Hap Call

Hap
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

There is a baffel on the inside. Remove the cover. Just cut the end off of A Q tip and insert it thru the openings and scrape the window and spray it with cleaner.
            The window on the master cylinders is very thin so be carefull if you start buffing on it

Comment

No need to remove the glass to clean it. Remove the clutch cover (may as well check all those bolts etc!!) and either use a bit of spray under pressure if you have a cleaning gun for the air compressor or some cotton buds.

I have heard of people breaking the glass trying to remove it......

Comment

I have the clutch cover off to inspect the clutch itself. I just noticed that the window was looking murky. I used a q-tip like Lynn suggested and that took care of it. It was just a thin film. Thanks for the input guys!

Hap

Comment

I used the same method when I had the cover off to replace clutch plates. The difference was dramatic. No more trying to get the bike in the perfect light to try and read my oil level. In retrospect, I'm not sure I wasn't just hallucinating seeing a line through the murky gunk that was on the inside of that window..

Comment

That's what I did, let it soak for a while in WD40 and clean it with a q-tip, works very well.

Comment

Just make sure you don't use anything like carb cleaner or such on it..... :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                      X