Going to "GS" University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to "GS" University

I really liked the title to the thread "Cramming for my electric finals". Being a part of this forum has been like going to "GS" university. Of course, one might ask the question; "I just want to ride, and not diddle around with all this mechanic work?" I have thought that myself. However, I have really discovered a new joy and that is the joy of being able to work on my bike myself. It is at times frustrating...but mostly very fulfilling. Especially with all the help on this forum. I have also found that no one will really know my bike better than me because I am the one riding it!

Mark Zimmerman in The essential guide to motorcycle maintenance writes: "Why perform your own maintenance, you might ask? A fair question, especially if you normally have the family sedan, your motorcycle, or your lawnmower serviced by a professional. The best answer is that to become a proficient motorcyclist requires a fair amount of human/mechanical interaction, and by performing your own basic maintenance you'll gain a much better understanding of how motorcycles function. You also develop a much better feel for the health of your bike. In time you'll be able to sense a small problem developing and deal with it before it becomes a big one, or worse, a serious safety issue." (p. 7)

So I want to thank all my professors on this site for allowing my to join "GS" university and being patient as I ask simple questions and cram for the next final.

Have a great day!

Rick

Ditto That!!

I've spent the last 8 months working to restore a 1979 GS1000S. I think I now have every manual printed for the thing, but at the end of the day, the advice I get from this site is the most valuable.

Proves the adage that even an old dog can learn new tricks. Progress as of yesterday in the attached pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow!

Gorgeous Bike! Nice job on it. NO ONE will know that bike better than you!

Rick

Comment

As both of you, I'm finding the same type of gratification. This is my first bike, and what a great oppurtunity to learn some of the basics. This site has been absolutely wonderful in all aspects. Thanks to everyone for the information. Truly is, a GS University.

Casey

Comment

Well stated Rick. I agree with you and Mr. Zimmerman. I've learned much about my bike since I have been a member and since I've been riding it more, I notice more about it and I'm less hesitant to tinker with it to keep it in great running order. Your next assignment is to keep reading and keep riding!

Ed

Comment

You're preaching to the choir, Mr. ryonker. But I don't mind a bit. I feel the spirit! I feel the love!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you Professor Basscliff! :-)

Your student, Rick.

Comment

Working...
              X