Aftermarket exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket exhaust

Do they even make after market exhaust for a 1983 suzuki gs 850 gl???? looked and I can't find anything. I'm looking to change the sound just a little bit something a bit deeper...

Originally posted by nortins
    What can I do that is cheap and easy to make my bike run a lot smoother? I've been thinking some basic maintenance, plugs, oil, etc. but is there anything else I should be trying to do? I am currently working paycheck to paycheck trying to get her inspection ready by the 30th so I don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around but anything I could do to make her run a little better for cheap would be great!
    Since you're on a tight budget, I would suggest spending your money getting it running the best it can in the stock configuration. At least then you will have a good baseline from which to start modifying.

Any new aftermarket exhaust will be in the $300+ price range, unless you want to kluge some cheap mufflers onto your headers. I've also heard of people drilling extra holes in their exhaust to change the sound, but I can't speak to that as I kind of like my stock exhaust. I think quiet is good. But check out this little thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=126588
    Feel free to search for more.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

re:

yea basscliff i got a birthday coming up haha so I was just thinking about trying to get something that would update my bike a little bit. What do you suggest? I mean I've been thinking handle bars maybe something more straight out but then again I am just getting comfortable as this wonderful piece of machinery is my first bike! What would you reccomend and where should I start my weekend restorations something that I can do in a couple hours and then ride the same day because like I said first bike and all I want to do is ride!!!!!

Comment

Keep in mind that changing the exhaust will most likely require rejetting the carbs. As for the exhaust, I'm with Cliff; quiet is good.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Happy (almost) Birthday!

Hi Mr. nortins,

For your birthday? Happy Birthday! :-)

How are you set for tools? Tires? Air and oil filters? New plugs? Carb boots and o-rings? You'll need Real Gaskets to make your valve checks go much easier.

The three main things with these old 8-valve shaftys are carburetors (you've seen the clean/rebuild tutorial, right?), the charging system (you've seen The Stator Papers, right?), valve clearances (there's a pictorial guide on my website), and fluids (brake fluid, crankcase oil, bevel gear oil, final drive oil). OK, that's more than three but...there's more. Brake pads? Stainless steel brake lines? Fork seals? Caliper rebuild kits? How about a Sylvania Silverstar H4 bulb for your halogen headlight? Battery?

Since I don't know the overall condition of your bike, you must decide what's most critical. Read up on all the material available so that you will have a good working knowledge and be able to make better decisions than "what's the minimum I can do just to ride?" Not only your fun, but your safety depends on how well you maintain your machine.

You want to "go" good. You need to "stop" good. To go good you need clean and well adjusted carbs, you need proper valve clearances, a fully functional charging/ignition system, and a continual supply of fresh fluids. To stop good you need good tires and a functional braking system with good pads, calipers, front and rear master cylinders, and no leaks. You need good lighting, especially at night.

Many "L" riders will change their handlebars. That also means changing your cables (getting shorter ones). But I encourage you to get the bike operating properly and make it safe. Then worry about the cosmetics, creature comforts, and modifications/updates.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I love this website!

Comment

heh, cliff said it all...
              first make it run the best it can, that in itself is going to give you a big birthday grin on your face
              you may not even want to modify anything else after that

did you try searching for "jama" exhaust?
              they do one for my 850, should fit yours just as well
              Last edited by psyguy; 06-24-2008, 07:02 AM.
              GS850GT

Comment

Vance and Hines and MAC should still makes a 4-1 pipe that will fit older Suzuki bikes. Check out their websites for more info.

Comment

Bump for Vance and Hines Question.
                  Do the exhaust systems come with the flanges? Assuming I'll have to buy the gasket's seperately. I just got a nice promotion and raise and I'm buying it tonight.

Comment

yes they have flanges built in.....

you will want to get new gaskets.

Comment

Thanks, thought so, just confirming.

Comment

Working...
                      X