Maybe it's not the clutch after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it's not the clutch after all

About a month ago I posted a thread asking where to get Suzuki GS 850G clutch parts. I recieved a lot of help, thanks. Among the responses I got was that the springs were probably weak and to check the spring and plate specs. The plates were in spec (if I was reading the mike correctly) the springs weren't. I ordered new springs which were longer (1/16" to 1/8" or so) there was no sign or smell of burnt friction plates. However the cogs on the friction plates showed signs of scraping possibly from the weak springs. I've linked to a couple of photos showing the cog wear and the mike reading on a friction plate. However I'm not sure the problem here is in just the clutch. The situation was that when I thought the clutch let go it went all at once.(like something broke somewhere). Prior to the loss of power there was no discernable clutch slippage. I was accelerating quickly to enter the freeway, when I hit 2nd gear, popped the clutch, the clutch grabbed then the engine suddenly did a free rev. However there seemed to be some clutch left that enabled me to maintain some momentum to go about a mile further along the berm to get off at the next exit. After exiting the freeway each time I slowed I was unable to pick up any speed due to what I thought was clutch slippage so I finally stopped and pushed the bike the final 1.5 mi to work (at 5:30am) Anyway after replacing the springs the net result was that there was still no connection from the engine to the rear wheel, another words when I turned the rear wheel with the bike in gear the engine was not turning over. On a whim I went over to the driveshaft to see if it was turning which it was, I clamped my hand down by the front boot and could feel the driveshaft knuckle turning. When I clamped my hand tighter around the front knuckle the drive shaft quit turning even though I was still turning the rear wheel. I would have thought since the driveshaft is a direct connection to the rear drive it should forcibly turn if the rear wheel is turning. the final drive is turning the driveshaft untill there is any load and then the driveshaft will quit turning even though the wheel is still turning. Please excuse my ingorance and correct me if I'm worng. but as I said before I think as long as the rear wheel is turning the driveshaft should keep turning also and any disengagement of the drive shaft would take place at the transmission. I can't figure what would allow the driveshaft to turn some and then quit turning when a load is placed on the assembly. About 5 years ago I had the driveshaft and swingarm disassembled when the rear driveshaft tube weld failed. I would think if I did something wrong in re-assembling the driveshaft/swingarm it wouldn't have lasted 5 years. I wouldn't think any of the splines would strip out at the propeller shaft and drivegear couplings. I don't run the bike that hard. Just trying to get an indication of what the problem might be before I start disassembling the rear of the bike. Any ideas??

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi Mr. john S,

I sounds like you may need a new spline in your rear wheel hub. Hopefully it's not the final drive unit itself. Look on page 12 of my "Rear Wheel Removal" guide here.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

You got bit by those pesky wheel splines. Easy fix

Comment

Thanks for the link, I checked it out. Never thought to check those splines when I had it apart before. It always concerns me when anything goes wrong with such an old bike because many parts for it are hard to find.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

I feel really bad that I never greased those splines I've had that wheel off a few times....rats!!

Comment

Originally posted by john S View Post
              Thanks for the link, I checked it out. Never thought to check those splines when I had it apart before. It always concerns me when anything goes wrong with such an old bike because many parts for it are hard to find.
              That is an even better reason to maintain it better. You should still be able to get new rear wheel splines from Suzuki.

Honda moly lube paste is good stuff to use on the splines. At a minimum you should clean and lube the splines when you replace the rear tire.

Comment

Well, I took off the rear wheel today. What I found was not good. When I first looked at the hub I saw the splines, then I looked at the final drive and saw there were splines there. I got down and eyeballed the wheel splines and almost fell over from shock, aside from a tiny portion of the splines remaining on the outer part of the hub the rest of the splines were Gone. My second reaction was, at least it's the wheel hub splines. Looking at the final drive splines I could see they were still there. It was hard to see how worn they were so I got my camera and took a close up "macro" shot. Unfortunately, the close up photo revealed very worn splines on the final drive. I guess that would be expected since the hub splines were completely ground away. With new hub splines the bike may be driveable, but who knows for how long. I would be afraid to take a trip on it with those worn final drive splines. Since I had regulated the Suzuki as my daily rain or shine drive to work bike and I only live a few miles from work I would probably be ok with that. I will try to get the hub spline plate from my local Suzuki dealer put it back together and see what happens. After that I have to decide what I want to do for the long term. I probably will look to pick up another final drive (lots of luck with that) or possibly look for a parts bike. I did know someone who had an 82 GS850GL who is unable to ride anymore maybe he still has it. Tomorrow I will post the gruesome photos of the hub and final drive splines.
                You know I have had my 82 GS850G since new and in all these years I have never wound it out. I have to wonder how long those splines would have lasted by someone who was regularly hotrodding their bike. Considering having the final drive rebuilt is probably not an option. The dealers around here won't work on a bike more than 10 years old.

Comment

Rear ends are common on ebay for pretty reasonable prices. Wheel splines are still available from the dealer but from what I hear, the '79 and '80 splines are the ones to get since they are made from a harder material.

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.

Good luck.
                  Last edited by Nessism; 06-24-2008, 11:09 PM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If I recall correctly, bwringer had a post some time ago saying that the current splines used in the Intruder and Volusia lines are the same splines.
                    They look a bit different, evidently they have 'improved' them again.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here is a shot of the Drive splines, very worn probably unservicable.

Thanks Nessism for the link. I've already seen a few rear ends on ebay. I hate to spend the money on a new driven plate and put it in with the current rear end. It would probably end up ruining the new driven plate. This bike is definately gonna be put back together because I don't ever plan on getting rid of it or parting it out. Since I've had this bike since new it has a lot of sentimental value.

Comment

Where are you at in NE Ohio? I'm from the Canton-Akron area. (Canal Fulton)
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Cleveland, West Side.

Comment

Little hard to tell but those splines don't look all that bad. Not sure though.

BTW, where on the West Side? I lived in Lorain out by Amherst for 8 years and miss the area quite a bit this time of year.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Little hard to tell but those splines don't look all that bad. Not sure though.

BTW, where on the West Side? I lived in Lorain out by Amherst for 8 years and miss the area quite a bit this time of year.
                              I didn't know you were an Ohio boy Ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X