pesky pilot jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pesky pilot jet

What's the recommended screwdriver for getting at the pilot jets? My magnetic unit is too fat to fit down in there as are my normal sets.

You need a slotted blade, hollow ground screwdriver. A blade with of 3/16" should work. I attached a picture of one so you can see what it looks like (click on the thumbnail to get a better view). I bought mine from Mcmaster-Carr but you can also find them at other online vendors.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

A skinny one! DOH!

I broke a Wiha screwdriver last night trying to remove one.
      I used one from a Craftsman set that just fit into the hole.

Be advised it would be a good idea to soak them in penetrating oil before removal...don't ask how I know...oh yeah, I broke a screwdriver....

Comment

It takes an assortment of several screwdrivers to properly service a carburetor. If you have the carb rack broken down, take one of the carbs to your favorite tool store and get the largest screwdriver that will fit each of the screws or jets in the carb.

I have found that it takes one large straight tip to do the drain screws and main jets, and at least two other sizes to get the idle mixture screws and pilot jets on a set of CV carbs. It takes even different sizes for the pilot jets on a set of VM carbs. If you can, reserve these screwdrivers for carb use only so the tips don't get damaged.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

score! For those of you having problems finding the screwdriver for this and don't want to mailorder, head to your local Carquest and they sell the 3/16 slotted screwdriver without the tapered head. Fits like a glove.

Comment

Working...
          X