Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great bike, but whats the deal with the idle speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great bike, but whats the deal with the idle speed?

I wrote some questions before, and I love all you guys that help so many of us out. Heres my next question. (85 GS550L) I finally got this bike running but here is my problem. When I start it, of course it takes a few minutes to get it running cold. Choke is back, switch on prime. and I have to keep giving it gas to get it up and running with choke on. Once I get it started, and it warms up, While choke is on, it idles way up and then way down. In order to keep it running when I go to Neutral , or pull in the clutch, while driving, I have to keep the choke partially on. And then of course it idles a little to high and everyone stares at me. :? What should I check to try to solve the problem? (I just had the carbs cleaned) Please try to be detailed, I am new to the motorcycle world. :roll: Also the petcock selector switch seems very hard to turn.
    Thanks, you guys are great.
    Paxton

It was told to me on this site to synchronize the carbs, after they have been taken apart they need to be re-synched with a manometer. What is happening is that they are competing against each other, one cylinder gets more gas increasing revs. Try that first and see if it helps the situation.

Scott

Comment

You probably have stopped up pilot jets(idle circuit) and when you get them clean you need to resync your carbs.

Comment

Re: Great bike, but whats the deal with the idle speed?

Since you have an idling problem and adding choke makes it run better, then we know its not a dirty aircleaner. A clogged aircleaner would cause the engine to run rich and adding choke would make the problem worse.
        We know your choke circuit is working
        Either your idle jets are clogged, or your induction tubes (the rubber tubes between the carbs and the cylinder head are leaking and causing a lean mixture) Its also possible your float bowl levels are set too low.

Earl

Originally posted by Paxton
        I wrote some questions before, and I love all you guys that help so many of us out. Heres my next question. (85 GS550L) I finally got this bike running but here is my problem. When I start it, of course it takes a few minutes to get it running cold. Choke is back, switch on prime. and I have to keep giving it gas to get it up and running with choke on. Once I get it started, and it warms up, While choke is on, it idles way up and then way down. In order to keep it running when I go to Neutral , or pull in the clutch, while driving, I have to keep the choke partially on. And then of course it idles a little to high and everyone stares at me. :? What should I check to try to solve the problem? (I just had the carbs cleaned) Please try to be detailed, I am new to the motorcycle world. :roll: Also the petcock selector switch seems very hard to turn.
        Thanks, you guys are great.
        Paxton
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X