No announcement yet.

Slipping clutch or friggin fast bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope you dont have an issue like John....
    This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

That makes me wonder. If I have weak springs shouldn't the clutch be pretty easy to pull? There are times when off the bike when I go to start it and the wheel is turned all the way I have the use both hands to until the clutch reaches that "breaking" point after that it's easy to hold. All the other times I'm driving it it's not so hard I need both hands but it does feel pretty firm. So if I have weak springs would new springs make the clutch even harder to pull? Also I did loosen up the clutch cable a tad. Someone said something about that so I check in the book to have the right amount of play in the lever. Something is still slipping but the adjustment did help.

Comment

Okay well I just had an experience at the suzuki dealer. I was able to get the gasket and the springs for the clutch. But they are the people that know EVERYTHING if you know what I mean. They said "we can get you the factory parts but we'd have to order them. You just have an old bike." I asked you don't have any after market parts? "They don't make any after market parts for that bike any more it's just too old." So my guess is they don't have the internet and if they don't have it and you ask about it you're an idiot. Don't try and ask them about a jacket they don't have. "This here is the best jacket money can buy." Ok well just wondering if you had one that I saw like this "Why would you want that!..." Well hey look at the time thanks for the parts. So anyway... because of the 4th I should have the parts in about a week and we'll see what's what.

Is there an article about adjust the clutch cable? I have the gap in the handle the way the book says. I had the bike on the center stand clutch in I popped it in first and was going to take it off the center stand. For some reason I looked back and the wheel was sping. Slowly but spinning and the clutch was all the way in.

Comment

Originally posted by biker_guy View Post

Is there an article about adjust the clutch cable? I have the gap in the handle the way the book says. I had the bike on the center stand clutch in I popped it in first and was going to take it off the center stand. For some reason I looked back and the wheel was sping. Slowly but spinning and the clutch was all the way in.
          They just spin like that sometimes, doesn't matter. If you can stop it with the brake and it stays stopped for a bit before it starts to turn it is released, just a little friction or something.
          If your clutch is hard to pull you have a problem, most likely a bad cable or it is routed incorrectly, a kink or long bend will make it hard to pull.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I got worried about oil too, because the manuals recomend oils with discontinued ratings. I did a lot of google research about motor oils, Zook is right. I now use True Value 10-40 oil, because it's only $2.15 a qt. with no special additives.
            Today I noticed my clutch plates slipping when I gave it gas in 5th at 55mph. The rpm would jump up for 1 sec. then go back down, but it stopped doing that after the engine got hot, about 10min. later. It's allways done this, It did this when I had the $4 motorcycle oil in it too, so I'm staying with the $2 oil.
            I'm beleaving the weak springs idea, and I'm going to look into that some.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I can guarantee your runaway tach has nothing to do with your oil, and it IS in fact your springs. I had a lil bit of the same problem you guys have had with the slippage at high gear when giving it gas. Replace the springs, you'll be amazed at how much power is restored.

Comment

Working...
              X