No announcement yet.

GS1000 fuel tap / petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the man only wants to know how the bloody thing WORKS!

not a single reply on that...

sorry, i dunno either
    GS850GT

Comment

In the ultrasonics inspection world we call it FM - F'n Magic baby!

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        the man only wants to know how the bloody thing WORKS!

not a single reply on that...
        Only an Antipodean could hit the nail on the head like that:-)
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

More info requiered.

Originally posted by tone View Post
          Yes they are
          OK, spill the beans. Who sells then in the UK.

Any Yes, thats the same style tap that I've sent back twice for being faulty direct from Suzuki brand new. First on leaked out where you turned it on the second wouldn't allow any fuel out on run or prime.

Suzuki mad
          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Trawled around and found this:

Now I know how it's supposed to work - you have to crank the bike to initiate prime. What a POS
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Only an Antipodean could hit the nail on the head like that:-)
              a benefit of seeing things from the distance, i suppose

btw, the idea of no "reserve" position on that tap was because of the fuel gauge present in the instrument cluster - like on the cars, i guess
              GS850GT

Comment

I guess that makes a little sense, however the fuel guage is no prize winner either.

Comment

Now I know how it's supposed to work - you have to crank the bike to initiate prime. What a POS
                  I noticed that when the petcock is on prime, fuel will not flow out until vaccuum is applied(you crank the engine)to the petcock. Not constant vaccuum, just a little is needed to get the gas to flow. When the petcock is set to on, no gas will flow unless a constant vaccuum is present.

This is truly a strange design. On the KZ that I have, when you switch to prime the gas flows. It also has an on and a reserve position.

When I had the bike hooked up to a test tank with no petcock the bike started immediately. When I hook up the bike tank, set the petcock to on, the bike is hard to start. If I switch to prime, the bike fires right up. Once its running I can set it to ON and the bike runs fine.

Has anyone else had this problem with the 1980 petcock? Maybe the bike is supposed to be started with the petcock in the prime position and then switched to ON.

Comment

Originally posted by gus33 View Post
                    I guess that makes a little sense, however the fuel guage is no prize winner either.
                    mine's quite accurate, if thats what youre referring to
                    GS850GT

Comment

My 1100G's fuel gauge is kinda goofy. For some reason i seem to go MUCH longer on the top half of the gauge than the lower, in other words, i get more miles from full to half, than from half to reserve, at least according to the gauge. I believe I had heard that some of the GSs were like this because the top half of the tank is actually bigger, as in holds more capacity, than the lower. But i also heard you can futz with the gauge to get it to read what you want it to. IE you go on reserve when it says empty, or the start of the red line, or somewhere in the middle...what have you.

Comment

It is a strange design. There has to be a working seal within the petcock's inner workings to maintain the vacuum that was initiated when the engine was cranked over, or else, no prime. And if the teeny, tiny seal doesn't hold, again no joy.
                        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          My 1100G's fuel gauge is kinda goofy. For some reason i seem to go MUCH longer on the top half of the gauge than the lower, in other words, i get more miles from full to half, than from half to reserve, at least according to the gauge. I believe I had heard that some of the GSs were like this because the top half of the tank is actually bigger, as in holds more capacity, than the lower. But i also heard you can futz with the gauge to get it to read what you want it to. IE you go on reserve when it says empty, or the start of the red line, or somewhere in the middle...what have you.
                          Perhaps mine has been played with as you describe. I'll fill up to half way on the guage and 10 minutes later it says empty. Something to look into. Thanks.....

Comment

It is a strange design. There has to be a working seal within the petcock's inner workings to maintain the vacuum that was initiated when the engine was cranked over, or else, no prime. And if the teeny, tiny seal doesn't hold, again no joy.
                            After repeated attempts to start the bike, I have concluded that the petcock is causing my no start. I connected the test tank to the carbs and the bike fired right up. For what ever reason the bike is not getting any gas when hooked up to the petcock. I just placed an order with Z1 for a replacement so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X