Soft front brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft front brake

The front brake on my 450 is quite a bit softer than those on the 750. There's considerably more lever travel before the pads bite. It's not unsafe, just disconcerting.

I've bled the system, and completely replaced the fluid with new DOT4. Rebuilt the master cylinder and inspected the caliper. The pads have less than 1000 miles.

About the only thing I can think of is that the hose is just old, and needs replaced, preferably with braided steel. Anyone have any tips before I go this route?

I think you have ansered your own question. Replace the brake line. It may be bulging internally causing the soft feel

Comment

You may still have air in it....try a speed bleeder like a mini vac and then you will know for sure

Comment

Air

My guess is that you still have air in the system. A trick I learned is to remove the master cylinder cover and gently tap on the brake lever. do this rapidly over and over and in just a few minutes little air bubbles will start surfacing. It's boring but in about 5 minutes, your brake lines should be free of all air. Hope that helps!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Soft front brake

One other thing you can try is while you're squeezing the brake lever ,have a firm grip on part of the brake line itself. If it seems to bulge then its probably the culprit. In theory there's supposed to be replaced every 4 years or so although they do last a lot longer.

Braided steel lines are a nice alternative, just be mindful of cable routing and wrap them to prevent them chafing any bodywork.

Sam

Originally posted by coinneach
          The front brake on my 450 is quite a bit softer than those on the 750. There's considerably more lever travel before the pads bite. It's not unsafe, just disconcerting.

I've bled the system, and completely replaced the fluid with new DOT4. Rebuilt the master cylinder and inspected the caliper. The pads have less than 1000 miles.

About the only thing I can think of is that the hose is just old, and needs replaced, preferably with braided steel. Anyone have any tips before I go this route?

Comment

Working...
          X