Infamous Coil Relay Mod Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infamous Coil Relay Mod Help Needed

I want to do this mod and since my bike is completely free of wires (stator, starter and ignition wires still on the bike), I thought this the perfect time to do so. I am not a mechanic, electrician nor a grease monkey so I need a bit more help. I am running a dynaS ignition and stock coils. Based on the wiring sheet from the dynaS, the black wire of the coil is spliced into the black from the ignition. The white wire of the coil goes to the white on the ignition. The red from the ignition splices into the two o/w wires from the cable then routed to the fuse box. But from what I can see on the various coil relay mod post, there isn't mention of the ignition. FYI: I don't have any controls on my handle bars. My mock wiring set up uses a toggle for the starter and a toggle for the kill switch.

Now for my dilemma:
    My relay has 5 connectors: 30, 85, 86, 87 and 87a. 86 is fused and runs directly to the battery. 85 is ground and 30 is ???? and 87 is for??? I am unaware if both the o/w go onto one connector, if one goes on 30 and the other 87 or.... If I were any smarter I would be dumb.

Attached, please find my idea of a wiring cheat sheet. I have listed several questions on it.

Thanks for your help.

you will need the 4 prong relay i believe... i havent seen anyone utilize a 5 pronger yet...

do a search for coil relay mod and you will find it on here in several places, step by step on how to wire it up

Comment

your diagram is a little off,

you wont touch the black or white wires for the coils. the plan is to interrupt the power to the coils from the battery, not the single wires from the dyna ignition

ill try to find you a proper diagram

Comment

heres the page that has all the info you will need....

Comment

Remember the big picture of what you're doing. The wires from the kill switch/ignition switch tells the relay off or on. The power from the battery is straight (via the relay) to the coils. The wire from the dyna grounds the coils out (first one then the other) making them discharge.
          Ignition on, kill switch on, the relay is open and coils are getting juice straight from the battery. The dyna (still wired straight to the other coil pole) will ground the coils first one then the other, repeat.

Comment

Thanks I will give it a go.

Comment

Just ignore Pin 87A & wire both coils (where the orange white would normally go) directly to Pin 87.

Wire the Orange white to Pin 30.

The Dyna S wires go straight to the other connections on the coils. They are left /right handed so make sure you get the black to the correct coil & the white to the correct coil.
              The red can go to your orange whites or the new wires replacing them from Pin 87 on the coil, it really doesn't matter both are now switched lives.

Dan

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                Remember the big picture of what you're doing. The wires from the kill switch/ignition switch tells the relay off or on. The power from the battery is straight (via the relay) to the coils. The wire from the dyna grounds the coils out (first one then the other) making them discharge.
                Ignition on, kill switch on, the relay is open and coils are getting juice straight from the battery. The dyna (still wired straight to the other coil pole) will ground the coils first one then the other, repeat.
                One more thing with the Dyna system, there is a small power wire to feed +12v to the Dyna, separate from the power coming through the coils. Small red wire on mine. It needs to connect to a switched +12v, the old orange/white that you cut to trigger the relay will be fine, or a new wire from some other point near the battery.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

so what i have read so far- which i think i get BUT i am unsure but think the black and white wires on my coil as well as my black and white from my ignition are no longer needed so I should butt-end the wires and hide, correct?

Comment

what do you mean butt-end??

they are needed for the bike to run of course, but not needed for the coil relay mod...

most people here switch to spade connectors, as most people think they are superior to the probe type....

Comment

So the black coil wire goes to the black ignition wire and same for the white coil wire to white ignition, respectively. I just am at at complete lose. I know this is simple for some but for the few like me... wow. I will get it to work.

the only alteration I made was taking the two o/w wires and splicing them together rather than using a "Y" connector. I really don't think that would matter too much though.

Comment

OK, referencing your diagram, run a jumper wire from #86 to #30. Connect #87 to A, B, and C.

Using your kill switch will turn the relay ON or OFF, and power will go to the coils (via the original orange/white wires) and to the Dyna module.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't have a wiring harness nor do I have any controls on my bars so... I have been to the sites and read the links and still can't figure it out. My application is slightly different, I think anyway, from what is describe in the posts. Is this correct?

1. DynaS has three wires: blk, wht and red

2. Coils have two wires each (from riding position): left has one wht and one org/wht while the right has one blk and one org/wht.

Step 1. The black and the white off the coils should be connected to the respective color of the wires from the ignition (blk to blk and wht to wht).

Step 2 (pin 87). The org/wht connect to the red of the ignition and then to pin 87 of the relay.

Step 3 (pin 85). Pin 85 will be frame ground. (I think I got one right).

Step 4 (pin 86). I don't have a wiring harness so I can't attach pin 86 to the wire that originally supplied power to the coils. Pin 86: I will run to the battery but interrupted with a toggle switch that acts as the kill switch. The original wire that supplied power to the coils ( i think) was run through a fuse box, I will also splice an in-line fuse of at least 20a. In short, pin 86 will run to the battery with a toggle and in-line fuse.

Step 5 (Pin 30). From pin 30 I will run to the starter relay's positive post, that is the post of the starter relay that is fed by the battery. This will also be a fused connection (10a in-line fuse).

In theory, the bike should fire right up, correct?

If you would like to bash me for my ignorance, please feel free to email me. but before you do humor and kiss me with advice on my assessment from above. I know the links, I've read them and embarrassingly so am still unable to do this mod. Thanks for your help. PS> I want to get it right before all connections are finalized.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2008, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I was typing while your were replying and I think you nailed it for me...

Comment

Since you are the one that made the drawing to fit your application, I thought it would be best to use it as a reference.

By the way,
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X