Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master link question. (Forgot to grease!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master link question. (Forgot to grease!)

So I completely forgot to coat the pins with grease prior to installing the master link...

Granted, there was probably some grease inside of the rollers from the factory, but who knows.

What are my options?

Attempt to "pack" the roller with grease by pushing it between the roller and the interior side of the links?

or

Unclip the clip, somehow press the link off, grease, and hope doing that doesn't screw anything up?

Thanks, and yes, I am dumb for doing this.

Not that hard really. Just roll the chain till it's back into the back sprocket, that way the teeth will keep the chain together so you can get the joiner out.

Comment

Grease

They pack those things in grease and, if it's a good chain, it's lubed. I'd leave it alone...and take a look every now and again.:-) It's also going to 'pick-up' a lot of lubrication from the other links as they make their fantastic journey around and around and around......
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

chuckycheese sorry I did not see your post.

Problem should be corrected. I tapped the link off, greased the pins, and used a new link that came with the unused rivet link. I'm 99% certain it's the same link, as I'd suspect the pins have got to be the same diameter, and so too the links.

The clip itself was slightly curved. Just for future reference, should the "concave" side of the clip face inside or outside?

Thanks.

Comment

Not sure!

Well, that's OK, I was just trying to help and I hope you've got it straightened out.

However, I was confused by the information you just provided. I'm not sure what chain you have or the configuration you're referring to. Maybe someone else will recognize it by your description. I'm guessing you used a new side plate and I'm also guessing it's just fine. Keep your eye on it after a few rides just to make sure all is well.:-)
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

The concave, or sharp, edge of the clip should face away from the chain. This gives a more secure attatchment to the clip.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
            X