cleaning crank case cover and stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning crank case cover and stuff.

What is the best and eaiest way to clean the crank case and stuff. is there a certain cleaner for this?
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Do a search, some stuff in the appearance mods forum. Mother's or other such polish works well. If they are badly discolored got to use fine steel wool, or progressive grits of sandpaper.

Comment

Simple Green!

Hi Mr. kparkfan,

Are you talking about "cleaning" or "polishing"? To clean, I just spray on Simple Green, let it soak a bit then scrub with a toilet brush or similar, rinse with water. Works like a charm.

For polishing, a compound like "Mother's" and a buffing wheel. I haven't gotten around to polishing yet, but here are a couple of pictures before and after Simple Green.

Before:

After:

It works on the top and bottom of the crankcase as well, but you'll need brushes to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Sooo you really think your cases look nice?

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
          Sooo you really think your cases look nice?
          If this question was directed at me, I merely wanted to point out the usefulness of Simple Green. She's not mint, but Jessie cleans up pretty well. Here's a pic from our So. Cal. GS'rs ACH ride last weekend.

One of these days I hope to get the cases polished up and looking as good a Mr. Nessism's 850.

BassCliff

Comment

I think his cases look nice. I polish the clutch cover and some of the other side covers on occasion, but just simple green most of it. A toilet brush works well for al those engine nooks and crannies.

Comment

Simple Green, and lots of scrubbing!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Mr. renobruce,

Now THAT'S a clean machine. Great work! :-)

Thanks for sharing.

BassCliff

Comment

BOTTLE brushes work VERY well between the fins. Calvin, be VERY careful how you talk about someone's pride & joy on this site as you may need their expertise down the road & if you have alienated them you may not get it! I have worked on Cliff's bike & it is a VERY nice bike! It isn't MINT, but it is very nice! Ray.

Comment

Ray, I agree with what you say but us Brits need someone to quietly and sensitively tell Cliff not to call his bike Jessie, when we are earwigging in the UK.

(A Jessie is a derogatory name for an effeminate frightened man over here, aka big girl's blouse). Conjures up the wrong image for an 850:-):-)
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No harm done

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Ray, I agree with what you say but us Brits need someone to quietly and sensitively tell Cliff not to call his bike Jessie, when we are earwigging in the UK.

(A Jessie is a derogatory name for an effeminate frightened man over here, aka big girl's blouse). Conjures up the wrong image for an 850:-):-)
                      Hi Mr. hampshirehog,

That's interesting, another Brit slang saying that I'm not familiar with. Over here, "Jessie" is a very strong name for a female. It also means "God's grace" and "fair (as in pretty) and yielding". I think that describes my Jessie pretty well.

And I haven't a clue what you mean by "earwigging". Perhaps "attempting to influence by persistent confidential argument or talk"?

I wasn't offended by Mr. Calvin Blackmoore's reply. I've got pretty thick skin. I just wanted to make sure that I had not overstated or misrepresented myself or the condition of my motorcycle.

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff, 'earwigging' means listening to a conversation between others purely out of curiosity whilst either hiding or openly appearing to pay no attention to what is being said. My kids are experts in our house!

Where the expression comes from I have no idea, nor do I know the origin of Jessie or Big girl's blouse (though the latter may be Cockney to rhyme with mouse as in 'as timid as a mouse'.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                        X