Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be interested in stainless manifolds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would anyone be interested in stainless manifolds?

I'm having to widdle these things out to mount up my CB750 30mm carburetors and in all my measuring I've found a few things out:

1979 GS750E

Carbs...final bore: 26mm
    Final bore of manifolds: 25mm~26mm (I think the rubber has swelled a bit on some)
    Head: 28mm (actually one is 29mm...I'll post back when I get a better mic in it)

Mating 30mm carbs to a 28mm port would be a lot better without that 25mm bottleneck. I'll be making some manifolds to work it all out. It's a pretty easy setup. The manifolds are just milled tubes with the flanges on one end but I'll have them bored for 30mm down to 28mm (I'll port the head later). The carbs will mount up using simple silicone couplers.

Thought it might be worth tossing out to you people, though, to see if anyone here might have an interest in such a setup. They'd run about $100 a set and they'd come with the silicone, clamps, and bolts. They can be setup to pretty much any size you need...under 2" OD (bore) but that makes room for a 44mm ID, which you'd just never need.

Thought I'd ask. All I have a template for is the manifolds from a GS750. I don't know what all other GS's have the same manifold bolt pattern (2 5/8").

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
    I'm having to widdle these things out to mount up my CB750 30mm carburetors and in all my measuring I've found a few things out:

1979 GS750E

Carbs...final bore: 26mm
    Final bore of manifolds: 25mm~26mm (I think the rubber has swelled a bit on some)
    Head: 28mm (actually one is 29mm...I'll post back when I get a better mic in it)

Mating 30mm carbs to a 28mm port would be a lot better without that 25mm bottleneck. I'll be making some manifolds to work it all out. It's a pretty easy setup. The manifolds are just milled tubes with the flanges on one end but I'll have them bored for 30mm down to 28mm (I'll port the head later). The carbs will mount up using simple silicone couplers.

Thought it might be worth tossing out to you people, though, to see if anyone here might have an interest in such a setup. They'd run about $100 a set and they'd come with the silicone, clamps, and bolts. They can be setup to pretty much any size you need...under 2" OD (bore) but that makes room for a 44mm ID, which you'd just never need.

Thought I'd ask. All I have a template for is the manifolds from a GS750. I don't know what all other GS's have the same manifold bolt pattern (2 5/8").
    79 850, 78-79 1000. Thats prolly bout it. But, Im interested in seeing how they mount up. If i like it, i might be interested in a set for the cafe im always working on. Im a lil slow, but im not understanding, seeing as how pretty much the only thing supporting the carbs is the boots, how they will be held on the bike. Gotta scratch template or something to show us?

Comment

If the silicon tubes are short enough they will be held exactly the same way they are now.... & for those with an airbox they will be fixed the other side too.

If there is any issue, should be a pretty simple process to make some little support bars that come off the float bowl screws or something.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thanks dan...yeah the carburetors will clamp onto the manifolds just like they do now...it's just that now the manifolds will be bigger.

Comment

Working...
        X