Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Remove Carbs

I need to remove the carbs off my 1985 GS550L
    I already researched carbs on this site, but the only technical write I found is for the single carb setup. I have 2 two-barell carb setup and would like some kind of input on how to dismantle the carbs from the motor.

Obviously you remove the fuel line and such, but how do I go about removing the throttle cable and then seperating the carbs?

Do I have to remove the fuel tank, and IF i did have to remove the fuel tank, would I have to drain the tank or does the petcock have an "off" position? I don't see one marked but you never know!

Any Input Appreciated
    TIA,
    Al Conforti

First, yes remove the tank, if the petcock is working properly with it on the 'ON' or 'RES' position it won't leak. Remember to disconnect the fuel gauge wires before you try to take the tank off. To remove the carbs, you'll need to loosend the clamps connecting the airbox to the carbs, and take out the bolt holding the airbox. Pull that back, or remove it if you can, not sure with your model. Then you just loosen the clamps between the engine and carbs, an pull the carbs off. I find I have to pivot the carbs down to get them out of the rubber boots. You will need a 10mm wrench to loosen the nuts holding the thottle adjustment, then you should be able to move the cable so that it lines up with a slot on the throttle linkage to pull it out. If you have a choke cable you'll have to remove that as well.

Comment

Al,

I'll try and help out here......although I don't have a GS550, but a GS850. I am sure that the two are similar enough to where this info will be helpful.

Yes, you'll have to remove the tank. This poses no problem. I assume you have a vacuum-operated petcock. As long as you have one (that functions), or a manual petcock - you will not have to drain the tank in order to remove it.

Just unbolt your tank from the frame. Unplug the two wires which come from the tank (fuel meter). Now you can lift tank somewhat and get at the fuel/vacuum lines easier. Unhook the gas line (fat hose leading to carbs), the tank overflow hose, and the vacuum line (thinner hose which also goes onto the carb.

Now you should be able to remove the tank. You now have a much more accessible work area to work on the carbs with. You'll have to remove the 2 cables which lead to the carbs - the choke and the the throttle cables. First the throttle. Turn the throttle, and on the carbs, you'll see the area between the carbs that is "raised" by the cable (where you make your adjustments during a carb synch). With your fingers, keep that part raised and let go of throttle - you have now created slack in that cable....enough to allow you to remove the end of the cable from carb assembly with a needle-nose plier.

The choke cable is similar - just unscrew the little clip on the bracket which holds the end of the choke cable (sleeve) in place. Once that is done, you have enough slack to remove the end of the choke cable from the carb body with needle-nose pliers again.

Now you can remove the bolt(s) that secure airbox to the frame. Also remove the hose from bottom of airbox which leads to below the bike. After loosening the hose clamps which hold carb assembly to the induction tubes (cylinder head), you should be able to remove the whole assembly from the frame. Or, if you wish, you can try and remove the airbox first (in that case, loosen/remove hose clamps connecting airbox hoses to carbs), then the carbs last.

Hope that explains it. Assembly is the reverse.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

LOL, not until after I type all this up and post it, do I see that Luke done already beat me to it.
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Woohoo! I WIN!

Comment

Sometimes it can be a pain on disconecting the cable on the carbs. I have found out it is easier for me to disconnect them from the handle bar controls and then route the cable out and leave them connected on the carbs. It may be different on your bike as mine is a gs1100. Good luck, carbs are always fun!!

Comment

Working...
            X