1100 G/GL Engine Drop in 850 GL Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 G/GL Engine Drop in 850 GL Frame?

I thought for sure this had been asked before but I searched and couldn't find it.

Does anyone know if I can put an 1100 G/GL engine in my 850 frame? Anything else have to be changed like the rear swing arm?

I am hoping for a bolt on with no mods but if it needs mods and you know them list em please

I believe it to be the same as the 850 and 1100 GL's weight the same. A very nebulous speculation at best!

Comment

I am dropping a 1982 GK (1100) engine into a 1980 GS1000 GL bike. I was told here that it is a direct swap and eyeballing the mounts and brackets seems to prove so as well.

If your frame / engine is the same as a GS1000 G, it should fit. I think you will have to change carbs for it to work, get some BS34SS with 115 mains.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
        I believe it to be the same as the 850 and 1100 GL's weight the same. A very nebulous speculation at best!
        K, someone splain that one to me....The 1100G is some thirty(?) pounds LIGHTER than the 850G. All things being equal, why would the "L"s weigh the same?

Comment

I have all the original owners manuals for mine and all three are within 5 lbs of each other in the dry weight listed. I do know that all three use the same replacement Progressives in the front and recommend the same sizes for the back. I am pretty sure the motor mounts are the same for all three although I have never measured them. The case guards are the same between the 850 and the 1000. My uneducated guess is yes it will fit.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I believe One of the rear mounts needs to be modified may be able to mix & match the mounts. Depending on what year your 850 is you may need the driveshaft. Later 850's & all 1000,1100s have a wider spaced bolt pattern. I am planning to do the 1000 swap some day (have a motor), my 850 runs so go I hate to tear it apart
            Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

I think I've decided to swap out the motor in my '79 850G for an 1100G as well. (The 850G motor is not numbered to the bike so I'm not trashing an all original '79). From reading this forum it looks like I will need the shaft from an 1100G bike so the bolt patterns match between the shaft and motor. Anyone know if I need the swingarm/final drive too?

Also, I will need the carbs from a 1000/1100. Anyone know if the older VM carbs from a '70s 1000 will fit the intakes on an 1100G motor?

And finally, I need to figure out what to do about ignition. My '79 850G has points ignition and the 1100G motors have electronic. Anyone know if I can use the points ignition parts from the 850G motor in the 1100G? (I think Dyna makes an electronic pickup to replace the points in the 850G and that is likely what I would use).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
              Chris
              Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM.

Comment

A 1982 or 83 GS1100G engine will fit in a 1982 or 83 frame with no modifications.

An 1100G engine may have a hard time being fit to an early 850, though. The middle-gear flange is different, and the swingarms are different.

I suspect a 1000G engine will fit an 850G frame with no modifications.

Comment

As much as this winter I will miss riding, I am looking forward to tearing into my engine, maybe a wiseco kit, maybe an 1100 top end, who knows.. WHOO HOO get crazy!

Comment

i'm looking into doing the same

1100g wil fit an 850g regardles of the years of the frame
                    howevere in 82 the drive shaft flange changed so you need that from the 1100 if your 850 is older than 82
                    also, in 82 the ignition pick up has changed so again you'll need the ignition box from the 1100 if your 850 is older than 82

edit. just realized yours is an 83 850
                    so, you should need just the engine and it would be a bolt in mod
                    Last edited by psyguy; 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM.
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      An 1100G engine may have a hard time being fit to an early 850, though. The middle-gear flange is different, and the swingarms are different.
                      the shaft is the same for all models except for that flange so as long as you have the shaft flange to match the secondary gear flange - no prob

the swingarms are different but that doesnt affect this engine swap
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        1100g wil fit an 850g regardles of the years of the frame
                        howevere in 82 the drive shaft flange changed so you need that from the 1100 if your 850 is older than 82
                        also, in 82 the ignition pick up has changed so again you'll need the ignition box from the 1100 if your 850 is older than 82

edit. just realized yours is an 83 850
                        so, you should need just the engine and it would be a bolt in mod
                        YAHOOO!!! I am on it Just got to find the engine lol! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          the shaft is the same for all models except for that flange so as long as you have the shaft flange to match the secondary gear flange - no prob

the swingarms are different but that doesnt affect this engine swap
                          I think I will grab a swingarm/pumpkin anway since it has a better gear ratio from what I head (60MPH at about 3500RPM's). Thanks!

Comment

check before spending money

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                            I think I will grab a swingarm/pumpkin anway since it has a better gear ratio from what I head (60MPH at about 3500RPM's). Thanks!
                            that depens on the year/model too

you may find the final drive ratio to be the same as what you've got now
                            have a look here
                            GS850GT

Comment

It only makes about a 300 RPM difference If you have a 16" rear wheel you can use the 17" and probably gain the same amount

Comment

Working...
                              X