Reverse Drill Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Drill Bits

Anyone have a source for them. I tried fleabay and Home Depot but no luck.

Do a quick search on here, I posted a link to them on the sears website. I picked mine up at a sears hardware store locally.

You can do a search on the sears website also for "screw extractor" and thats how they came up.

Comment

Auto Value, and I'm sure Napa carry them. I bought mine from Auto Value.

Comment

I got my crafstman set at k-mart for $16 bucks.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Ace Hardware also carries them

Comment

Harbor Freight also carries left twist drills. McMaster-Carr, too.

One of my pet peeves...bits go in a brace...you don't have a drill bit press, you have a drill press....got reamed for that back in my younger days at a machine shop. That thing you plug into the wall to make holes in object..yeah, that thing you put drills into-that's a drill motor, not a drill. Never forgot it.

I drive people nuts with that tidbit!

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
              Anyone have a source for them. I tried fleabay and Home Depot but no luck.
              Snap-On has them - order online or through a mobile vendor. Two small sets are p/n's DBLS105A (HSS) consisting of 5 sizes 1/8" through 11/32" and p/n DBCL105A (Cobalt) 5/64" to 19/64. They also have individual sizes (some in both types) from 5/64" to 1/2".

Comment

Harbor Freight.
                Are all Harbor Freight stores a nightmare to find sh!t? Stuff is thrown everywhere. Can't give up quickly on a quest! Never visit stoned.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Semi-Related

This is only semi related, but depending on your need, if the stripped
                  bolt/etc is not in a blind hole, you do not need a left handed drill to get it out.

The PO of the 750 I just bought had stripped many of the screws that retain the throttle arm to the carb slide (the ones you undo to access the needle clip). So tonight at work I used a long shank 5/64" drill on a low speed drill press and drilled into the bottom of the stripped screws, and they spun right out like butter. This is the same as using a left handed drill to screw into the top (head) of a stripped bolt. Now, of course, we're usually find stripped hardware in blind holes, but if not, some finesse and your standard rh drills will get you out of a jam if used from the back.

Oh, and for those who experience the same problem;
                  The screws are M3-14. I replaced mine with hex head bolts. Super cheap, and a lot better than relaying on philips screws. (JIS tools or not!)

Shaughn
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

More Extraction Fun

Oh, and I swear by these as well. For rounded bolt heads before you're at the last resort for drilling. Just tap on, and wrench off. They are a bit pricier, but you can buy smaller or larger sets to adjust the price point. This is something you want to buy a middle-good grade or better, as the quality of the hardness of the socket body and those splines is what does the work.

Shaughn

Comment

I bought my reverse drill bits at Harbor Freight for a set of 4, and they're actually much better quality than the rest of their drill bit selection. They've worked fine several times.

However, HF's "Titanium Nitride" coated bits, for example, are pure über-crap, not even suitable for picking your nose. That place is such a mixed bag.

For your workaday drill bits, don't screw around with anything less than cobalt bits from a reputable quality vendor like Sears. HSS or coated bits are invariably worthless after one use.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                      X