Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leading Front Axle. What is the Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put an 80 ET leading axle front end on my 83 Katana due to the lack of 4 position preload and dampening knob on the stock inline fork. I think the earlier leading axles are better forks than inline ones with anti-dives. My stock 83 1100SD front end had no preload, spongy brake hoses, and anti-dives that don't do anything.

I've considered upgrading to GSXR bits, but decided my bike handles great the way it is currently set up.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Damping knob

The last post reminds me: When I started out in motorcycling [1967], a lot of bikes [most bikes?] had "damping knobs." Now, I see none. What happened?

-- Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd View Post
        The last post reminds me: When I started out in motorcycling [1967], a lot of bikes [most bikes?] had "damping knobs." Now, I see none. What happened?

-- Bill
        Progress. Current sport bikes have preload, compression and rebound damping adjustment, but it is adjusted with small screws that sit flush or recessed on/in the forks and shock. The better aftermarket stuff now has high and low speed compression damping separate as well.

Oh yeah, and no more 4 positions, my GSXR1K has more like 20 clicks of adjustment on the damping and screw type preload adjusters for infinite preload settings.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X