excessive fuel use bad gas mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excessive fuel use bad gas mileage

I have been having an issue which I have seen on alot of posts with popping and missfiring and fouled plugs.
    Another issue Im having at the same time is excessive fuel use. I have gone through half my gas tank (like a 4.2 gallon) only going 40 miles. That comes out to about 20mpg (I can do math!)
    I do not have stuck floats. I have cleaned the carbs (not sure how good of a job I did, first time and all). Does anyone have any suggestions. The weather is awesome for riding and I cant!

Oh I almost forgot. The #1 plug gets fouled and the rest are fine.

You may have a bad o-ring on the float valve on the number 1 cyl. I had that happen on mine, and it would foul the plug on that cyl, and gas milage goes down, since you constantly dump gas thru that carb. Symptoms are a lot like a stuck float.

Comment

Re: excessive fuel use bad gas mileage

Originally posted by youngncheap
      I have been having an issue which I have seen on alot of posts with popping and missfiring and fouled plugs.
      Another issue Im having at the same time is excessive fuel use. I have gone through half my gas tank (like a 4.2 gallon) only going 40 miles. That comes out to about 20mpg (I can do math!)
      I do not have stuck floats. I have cleaned the carbs (not sure how good of a job I did, first time and all). Does anyone have any suggestions. The weather is awesome for riding and I cant!

check for spark--you may have a bad wire. reverse the wires that are from the same coil as a test for a starting place.

Comment

Also make sure the petcock is not in the "prime" position, this can sometimes overwhelm the floats and cause flooding. :twisted:

Comment

Re: excessive fuel use bad gas mileage

My inclination is that your petcock needs replacing or rebuilding because it is leaking badly. If your petcock works correctly then fuel cannot leak. But you have a leak. If your float needles seal correctly (even if the petcock is leaking), you cannot have a leak into the crankcase. Your float needles are leaking and need new "O" rings and should be checked to be sure they do seal. I would change the oil before I ran the bike again. You will instantly know if there is a lot of gas in the crankcase oil when you change it. I see no way there cannot be gas in your crankcase oil with your description.

Earl

Originally posted by youngncheap

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X