No announcement yet.

Need help again, oil smoke from right exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfft, try starting a coked up GT380 on straight seafoam with MMO still sitting on top of the cylinders and pipes so gummed up that you have to pull the baffles. THAT is some serious smoke.

Comment

Haha, yeah I forgot that I had MMO and some sea foam in my cylinders too. Smoke city.

....maybe I can find a way to do MMO injection for tailgaters.

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post

....maybe I can find a way to do MMO injection for tailgaters.

/\/\ac
        This works well.

My last BMW 2002 had bad stem seals, could back off the throttle about five seconds and then floor it, the ensuing cloud chased the offending tailgater way back.

Think maybe an oil injection pump from an old two stroke would work well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Took it out for 30 mile flogging session and all is well, no smoke whatsoever. Think the floats may be low now, runs out of fuel with petcock in the run position so I have to run it on the prime setting. Set floats at 24mm as per the clean/rebuild how to, but I am definitely not very proficient at it. Should still be able to spring for a Dyna ignition & some new plug wires & boots as planned, maybe hopefully that'll cure the issue of #3s intermittent staurtup firing issue.

Appreciate the replies, the pics & smoke humor as well. NATEO's "burnout" pic certainly helped me to relax about the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
            you havent smoked out the neighborhood until you have to burn Mystery Oil out of the heads!!!
            I am wondering if that might be part of the problem here with Mike's bike. The oil in the sight glass looked a little funny, so we drained it and replaced it with fresh Castrol 20w-50. The oil that we drained had a distinct minty odor to it. I only know of a couple things that smell minty that might be used: Marvel Mystery Oil and Simple Green. I can't imagine why Simple Green would be used inside an engine, leaving only MMO as the suspect.

Normally I would have used 10w-40, but we have a known excessive oil flow issue here, so I went with the thicker stuff. Not knowing how long the bike had been running previously with the smoking issue, I took the pipes off and took them down to the local car wash to clean them out. Got lots of oily water flowing out of them, so I feel a bit better about that.
            While the pipes were off, I replaced the drain plug only to find that it would not tighten. Took another look at the plug and found that it was a replacement, not the original, and had markings on it that said "1/2 T". Not good. It appeared to be a 1/2" oversize plug in a metric hole. I took off the oil pan, cleaned all the sludge out of it, then went to Auto Zone and found a 14mm oversize plug that cut new threads in the hole and sealed up nice and tight. Put the oil pan on, put the pipes back on, filled with new oil and fired it up. Still smokes, but not nearly as much as it did before.

After it had been running for a while, the smoke amount did not change. A friend happened to come by, saw the smoke and offered the use of his compression gauge. Overall, the numbers were not too bad, but they went up considerably 'wet', so it's probably time to check the cylinder bore size, then order rings or pistons to match.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I am wondering if that might be part of the problem here with Mike's bike. The oil in the sight glass looked a little funny, so we drained it and replaced it with fresh Castrol 20w-50. The oil that we drained had a distinct minty odor to it. I only know of a couple things that smell minty that might be used: Marvel Mystery Oil and Simple Green. I can't imagine why Simple Green would be used inside an engine, leaving only MMO as the suspect.

Normally I would have used 10w-40, but we have a known excessive oil flow issue here, so I went with the thicker stuff. Not knowing how long the bike had been running previously with the smoking issue, I took the pipes off and took them down to the local car wash to clean them out. Got lots of oily water flowing out of them, so I feel a bit better about that.
              While the pipes were off, I replaced the drain plug only to find that it would not tighten. Took another look at the plug and found that it was a replacement, not the original, and had markings on it that said "1/2 T". Not good. It appeared to be a 1/2" oversize plug in a metric hole. I took off the oil pan, cleaned all the sludge out of it, then went to Auto Zone and found a 14mm oversize plug that cut new threads in the hole and sealed up nice and tight. Put the oil pan on, put the pipes back on, filled with new oil and fired it up. Still smokes, but not nearly as much as it did before.

After it had been running for a while, the smoke amount did not change. A friend happened to come by, saw the smoke and offered the use of his compression gauge. Overall, the numbers were not too bad, but they went up considerably 'wet', so it's probably time to check the cylinder bore size, then order rings or pistons to match.
              Suckage. BUT, depending on the cost of a mic of the bores, and if its just rings (which im guessing as long as things are round, we're good, an out of round bore would have been mirrored on one side of the bore and not as bad on the other no?) its definately worth fixing. The bike is too nice otherwise.

Comment

Working...
              X