1977 gs 550 throttle sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 gs 550 throttle sleeve

In switching grips, I broke my plastic throttle sleeve on my 1977 gs 550.
    I first got a universal one from the local bike shop, It wouldn't fit.
    I then shopped victoriously on ebay, and ended up with one from a 1979 gs750, which I assumed would be the same.. It seems just a bit too wide to fit under the metal housing. It rubs where the metal case comes together around the sleeve on the grip side. I can get the screws started, but when I tighten them around the sleeve, the sleeve starts hanging up, and I can't tighten the screws enough to close the two halfs of the case back together, or make it mount to the handlebar without the whole housing spinning around the handlebar when I twist the grip.
    My question/s Did they make different throttle sleeves for the 550's and 750's?
    Does anyone know for certain where I can get an "exact" replacement that will fit? Am I doing something wrong? I thought the 750 sleeve should have worked.
    Thanks, Terry

I'm not sure on the GS's because I havent changed my handlebars yet but on my CB there is a hole punched in the underside of the handlebar...Is that lined up correctly?:-?

Comment

I'll check that out.

when I get home from work I'll see if a set screw is needed at the bottom of the housing.
      My real problem stems from the throttle sleeve seeming to have a excessively thick base where the dual throttle cables attach to it up top.
      The casing with the kill switch in it does not seem to want to encompass the whole throttle sleeve. (wish I could draw a picture) But. If you have the two half moons coming together, the two halfs do not want to seat together. The plastic in the sleeve wants to keep them from mating properly.
      The sleeve is rubbing on the edges of the casing by like 1 or 2 millimeters. Just a little bit. I am considering taking a cutoff wheel or grinder to it to ease away where it's hitting.

Any thoughts? Was operating perfectly before I tried to remove the grip, and broke the sleeve.
      Where can I get a Suzuki Part number for it, maybe I can locate one that way.

Comment

If your throttle side switch is alloy - should be on a 77 I think - it's possibly variability on the casting that is making this happen. They are all a pretty tight fit (have to be - that's how they work) and you could just be snagging on next to nothing.

I've never had this problem on plastic switches (better moulding) but have a couple of times on alloy versions. Rubbing your throttle tube with a little coarse sand paper (say 80-120 grit) will do the trick. Just had to do this to plumb in a 'quick action' R1 tube on my S.

The 550/750/1000 (at least) should all be interchangeable.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Part Numbers Are The Same

Part Numbers are the same for the 550 and 750 from 1977. Part Number is 57110-34601. The RH switch that the throttle tube fits into is alloy with the two throttle cables exiting from it.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2008, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Fixed it!!

The problem was: the sleeve was simply to large a diamater to fit under the housing.
            I took a regualr file, and eased away at the diamater until it fit without hanging up.

Problem solved..

Comment

Working...
            X