Gas tank cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank cushions

Has anyone had to replace those 2 little gas tank grommet/cushions? Any options besides just ordering teh OEM part, or is that the best way? Mine are basically shot---just taped in place with electrical tape.

Thanks for the help!

Rick
    79 GS750L with E handlebars:-)

I have & yes OEM was the only option I could find.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I also replaced mine and bought the OEM ones. Couple of bucks each as I recall.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Bikebandit. Those 2 up front, 2 more on the back of my tank, the side cover grommets, the centerstand bumper, the rubber thingys between the cylinder cooling fins and I think a couple grommets under the tail section too.

Edit / addition: (good idea Cliff) a couple oil filter cover studs & accorn nuts.
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-27-2008, 11:36 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The center (rearward) rubber was snapped off where it set into the tabs, and fell off when I removed the tank. Otherwise good, so I glued it back on the frame using 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Couldn't pull it off now if I wanted to. Common stuff, any auto parts store will have it, sticky as hell though, so be careful. Doesn't wash off, but it can be rubbed off with some work. It also comes in bright yellow and was commonly referred to as 'buffalo snot' in my old shop. Great for body plastics, or reattaching the glass on sideview mirrors. Don't ever use it for a gasket maker or you will be sorry! It dries into a hard, inflexible plastic.

Shaughn

Comment

Tank cushion replacements

John at Cheapcycleparts.com ordered the OEM parts for me from Suzuki (around $1.06 each) - front cushions, rear cushions and spacer, with fairly low shipping charge. I got my new Suzuki cushions within a week (ordered LATE on Friday, but had them by the next Friday!)

Tell him Greg Janney recommended him.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I need all the rubber grommets that hold the side panels on. Any suggestions where I can get em?
                I have a '82 GS1100E
                Thanks,
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gorman View Post
                  I need all the rubber grommets that hold the side panels on. Any suggestions where I can get em?
                  I have a '82 GS1100E
                  Thanks,
                  Mike
                  BikeBandit
                  FlatoutMotorcycles
                  Local Dealer

They can all get them and they don't cost much.
                  Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
                      The center (rearward) rubber was snapped off where it set into the tabs, and fell off when I removed the tank. Otherwise good, so I glued it back on the frame using 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Couldn't pull it off now if I wanted to. Common stuff, any auto parts store will have it, sticky as hell though, so be careful. Doesn't wash off, but it can be rubbed off with some work. It also comes in bright yellow and was commonly referred to as 'buffalo snot' in my old shop. Great for body plastics, or reattaching the glass on sideview mirrors. Don't ever use it for a gasket maker or you will be sorry! It dries into a hard, inflexible plastic.

Shaughn
                      2ND TO this. I've also used Gorilla glue for the front insulators for the tank. It's workin so far!! The buffalo snot is a really aggressive formulation that just plays hell with anything it gets on other than the intended victim, so watch out if you use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gorman View Post
                        Thanks . . .
                        When you install the new ones, be sure and shoot the hole with 3 in 1 oil, or lube with a little vaseline or lithium grease so you don't end up breaking the side covers by pushing on them too hard.

Comment

Appreciate the tip, makes sense . . . thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                            When you install the new ones, be sure and shoot the hole with 3 in 1 oil, or lube with a little vaseline or lithium grease so you don't end up breaking the side covers by pushing on them too hard.
                            This makes a lot of sense, BUT I also lost a side cover after doing just that. Now they have a safety line on them so I can't lose another one.

Comment

Did you have any trouble locating a new side cover?

Comment

Working...
                              X