clutch pushrod oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch pushrod oil seal

I just tore up the last one in the PNW but I have two coming on mules over the Oregon trail from the east coast any week now. Bikebandit vs. local dealer: who will win?

I know about using a soft touch with a mallet and the old seal and a socket. Should the outer circumference that sets into the crankcase be oiled, soapy-watered, or totally dry? Dry seemed to cause problems today. Soapy water makes sense to me, but I'd appreciate some advice.

My suggestion is loosen the screws around the seals (driveshaft & clutch) that hold crankcase halves together to release pressure and the seal will then go in easier as the hole that it has to go into has "sprung" a bit. A little "Ultra Blue" around the circumference of the seal and tighten everything back up again.

Comment

I just replaced this seal in my GS700 and it was a snap. In fact, when I removed the bracket that bolts over the top of the seal - the seal popped off with the bracket..SWEET!

for installation of the new one, I just put a light film of grease around the edge of the seal and pressed it in by hand. I gave it a couple of taps with a mallet and wooden dowel to make sure it was seated, bolted back everything and all has been well ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
        I just replaced this seal in my GS700 and it was a snap. In fact, when I removed the bracket that bolts over the top of the seal - the seal popped off with the bracket..SWEET!

for installation of the new one, I just put a light film of grease around the edge of the seal and pressed it in by hand. I gave it a couple of taps with a mallet and wooden dowel to make sure it was seated, bolted back everything and all has been well ever since.
        EXACTLY what Mark said is the way to do it! Do NOT loosen any casebolts, there is absolutely no reason to do so. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          EXACTLY what Mark said is the way to do it! Do NOT loosen any casebolts, there is absolutely no reason to do so. Ray.
          Okay, thanks all. My problem is that I replaced the seal twice and it continued to leak. The original pushrod was cruddy looking on one side, so I just sanded it and turned it around and it didn't help. I ordered a new pushrod & seal and screwed up the seal knocking it in dry, so I thought I'd ask here so I don't screw up another seal and lose another 2 weeks of riding. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the plunger assembly on the sprocket cover, so maybe I'll be good now.

It really didn't look like anything else is leaking, but I cleaned everything extra well this time so I'll know.

I'm 2500 miles away from my garage and it's definitely taking a toll.

Comment

What I like to use for that type of seal is the brush on permatex semi liquid gasket sealer. Usually gives it just enought to slip right in...
            With the help of a 3 lb hammer. Sometimes a small hammer just will not do the job properly

Comment

I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself Ray. Anyway off to church now. Bye.

Comment

Is it leaking from the gartered lip?

You always have to use oil or grease (vaseline works as well---use it on automatics) on the lip to prevent a quick burn out and promote natural lubrication.

As far as the outer part of the seal, oil will work just fine. If you are having a leak issue from the outter circ, then some Permatex gasket sealer will do wonders.

I can't begin to tell anyone how many seals over the 10 years I installed as a wrench. Most were driven in with a large socket, except for the military axles, then I used a seal driver.

Find the biggest socket that will fit in the naked hole and use that drive in the seal. No need to use the old seal in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  I guess I'll keep my opinions to myself Ray. Anyway off to church now. Bye.
                  No need to hide your opinions, Don. It was just a case of not NEEDING to do what you suggested. I hope you have LOTS of knowledge to share! !!! Ray.

Comment

It seemed to have been leaking around the inner lip, although now I am not certain. The sealing surface on the crankcase is in perfect shape. I had oiled the pushrod first. I'll try a touch of grease there. Well, maybe another seal will arrive by pack mule next week from the east coast and I can ride again. (Who takes 2 weeks? Maybe Suzuki parts distribution is a guy with a beat up truck who drives clockwise laps around the USA.)

Don: My understanding is that the crankcase halves are sealed only with silicone so I wouldn't want to disturb that and have to drop the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
                      Don: My understanding is that the crankcase halves are sealed only with silicone so I wouldn't want to disturb that and have to drop the engine.
                      The Clymer Manual definitely says not to use silicon sealant on the crankcase half flange joints. Despite what the younger motorcyclist believes, silicon sealant is not the answer to all sealing situations.

The sealant to be used on these flanges is a non-hardening type (Suzuki Bond No. 4 or it's modern day equivalent ThreeBond 1194) which will allow a little movement when the bolts are loosened a turn or so to get the seals in and then the bolts are nipped up again. There are only two bolts concerned: a 6mm nut between the clutch and output shaft seals in the upper case half and an 8mm bolt to the rear of the outputshaft seal in the lower case half.

I loosened these nuts and bolts respectively and replaced the two gearbox output shaft seals and the clutch pushrod seal in the method I stated and had no problems whatsoever, and not had a leak to this day.

Bye from Oz

Comment

Bravo

The Clymer Manual definitely says not to use silicon sealant on the crankcase half flange joints. Despite what the younger motorcyclist believes, silicon sealant is not the answer to all sealing situations.

The sealant to be used on these flanges is a non-hardening type (Suzuki Bond No. 4 or it's modern day equivalent ThreeBond 1194) which will allow a little movement when the bolts are loosened a turn or so to get the seals in and then the bolts are nipped up again. There are only two bolts concerned: a 6mm nut between the clutch and output shaft seals in the upper case half and an 8mm bolt to the rear of the outputshaft seal in the lower case half.

I loosened these nuts and bolts respectively and replaced the two gearbox output shaft seals and the clutch pushrod seal in the method I stated and had no problems whatsoever, and not had a leak to this day.

Bye from Oz
                        Well, the only thing that really counts is that it works properly...and your method obviously does. So....Good on 'yer, Mate!!!:-)
                        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Ah, I misread the Clymer manual then. (I haven't had to split the crankcase halves--I was just looking at how it was sealed.)

Anyways, I put in yet another seal last night, oiled on the outside, and went for a ride and it didn't leak. I'm going on a 30 mile ride now to a meeting place, and then doing 400 miles with some people from work if it hasn't leaked after 30 miles.

I'm bringing a crapload of tools as usual.

Comment

Good luck. Hope it doesn't leak and yoy have a nice trip with no problems.

Comment

Good luck. Hope it doesn't leak and yoy have a nice trip with no problems.
                              That seal didn't leak. The stator cover gasket is still leaking (that started a week ago, haven't gotten to it yet). Two of my riding buddies said I was getting blue smoke out the pipes when passing at high RPMs. But it was on and off, not persistent. I also get blue smoke sometimes when I start the bike and it's cold. Maybe it means valve seals this winter. :-? Although I kept looking in my mirrors and couldn't see anything.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2008, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X