New news on 97 Kanata problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New news on 97 Kanata problem

Well, first of all, I can't tell you how impressed I am with this forum. The help has been overwhelming and encouraging when I begin to lose faith. Not to mention, there is no mention of "stupid questions" from others from those like myself who are basically clueless when it comes to underneath of these beasts. Anyway...

I went to drain the oil and change the filter yesterday, getting ready to put on my new petcock assembly. (decided to put the extra dough in it now and not worry about the headache for awhile.) Well, as soon as I did, the smell of gas was overwhelming and the oil was so thinned out, it almost looked like straight gas coming out. Well, as I sat there for a minute waiting for it to finish draining, it seemed like it just pouring gas in a small steady stream. I shook the bike a bit to see if that would help it stop. It would stop for a second and start again, and finally (after a couple shakes) quit. Well, I didn't even get to the part of messing with the filter and just plugged it back and put in 3 quarts back in the engine. I told a few friends here at work, and they were like "oh boy, you've really got problems!" Just when I thought that I might have a shot at fixing this bike this weekend, I feel (once again) that my hope is diminishing.

A) Is it possible that the new petcock assembly will HELP to stop this problem?

B) Will doing the o ring replacement and carb cleaning help this problem?

C) Or, am I looking at some severe problems with this and need to go on and let the mechanics try to fix it and empty my wallet?

I am VERY discouraged by this, and all I want is to get it fixed right, and go for a nice ride. The sense of accomplishment was right there, and then I run into doubt again. As usual, all the help is extremely appreciated! THanks again everyone!

Frustrated Craig in KY

Its relitively simple fella :-) your fuel tap is sticking/leaking which along with poorly ajusted or dirty carbs is allowing fuel to bore wash into your crankcases

The solution.... replace the fuel tap or diaphram (whichever is easiest to get hold of over there) strip & clean the carbs taking particular care to set the float heights correctly & to clean all the jets properly then change your oil & filter & enjoy a few miles of trouble free riding

After a problem like this i usually run it for 100 or so miles to clean things out & check everything over on cheap oil then do another oil & filter change using the good stuff

hope it helps

Comment

ditto to that, not a big problem. Change the filter too.

Comment

It's not a big deal as long as you didn't run the bike for very long with that gas in there. Just fix the leaky petcock and check the float needle valves and seats to be sure they're clean (might clean the carbs anyway while you're at it). You should be good to go. This happened to me once years ago, didn't damage a thing. Still riding the bike today.:-)

Comment

thanks again so much...

thanks again. I have once again had my mind set at ease. I should have the booger in to the station on Sunday and going to get started with the cleaning. I'll post the status after then. then again, I might be on here on Sunday going "uuuugh", but I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer. That usually works best anyway. thanks again for all the support and help. Priceless!

Craig in KY

Comment

Working...
          X