• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator ? Why?

Well, it would appear that my stator has crapped out,
    output AC 15V all three legs
    Infinite resistance to ground
    0.7 ohms on the lowest setting between the three wires
    The only thing that changed was the output, Why would only the one thing change and it would fail?
    Electrical is my achilles heel, so if you have an idea, let me know.
    So now shopping for a new stator, they range from 120 to 220 usd,
    Now there are also two different stators for the 83, one is 93mm and the other is 103mm, does anyone with the E model remember what they put in?

I think the usual reason is heat, the root of all charging system problems. All that AC voltage bumps into a bottle neck at a bad connection, bad R/R unit, etc... and with nowhere to go it cooks the stator..

Comment

Yep, heat. Put that stator in hot oil and it doesn't last. heat raises resistance of electrical items.
      I think an oil cooler would be a help not only for the charging system but the engine, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zook View Post
        Yep, heat. Put that stator in hot oil and it doesn't last. heat raises resistance of electrical items.
        I think an oil cooler would be a help not only for the charging system but the engine, too.
        In the works on mine. Got a good deal on an 1150 cooler, just scored an adapter plate, now it's getting a mounting plate and hooking it up.

Comment

Bump!!
          Does anyone know if my bike takes the 93mm stator or the 103mm stator?
          Also the cheapest source for a stator?
          Is it Electrosport?

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. Clone,

These guys are OK. I've purchased a stator from them before. You can even call them and talk to a real human.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I recently purchased a stator and recitifier/regulator from RM Stators for my 1984 GS 750E. They had a bit of a stato/regulator combo sale so I just bought both.
              Unfortunately I didn't keep any paper work for part numbers and I threw out the old stator a week ago or so. Sorry I can't help you with dimensions.
              I did have to email back and forth with Sean and Mike(?) at RM with various measurements and pics of the stator to ensure I got the right one. They were quite willing to check with my pics and dims so what they ended up sending was the right one.
              You may need to pull the stator out and send pics and dimensions to whoever you decide to purchase from.
              RM STator are located in Ayers Cliff, Quebec, Canada.
              Since i live in BC there was no customs issues to contend with and the package got to me very quickly.

Comment

Working...
              X