No Spark??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark??

Having nearly completed my GS1100G, from a pile of parts to a Motorcyle, I now find I,m missing sparks on cyl- 2/3. I have done the following but still no luck. Swapped over coils + leads caps from 1/4 ( which sparks great and fires up ) No that.Checked p/up resistance 160ohms each, not that,cleaned/tested alll block connecter terminals in a out of IC box, not that,I am also getting power to both coils, Did get a spark on both coils last week...but whats changed? Hope its not the IC box, its the old tin box type. Have a Factory manual, but they are only as " refreshers " for deallers and dont really go into the real world of might and can happen. Any suggestions please??? Thanks Chopz54

No mention of new plugs...did you throw a set of new plugs in?

Comment

WHen troubleshooting ignition problems; Dont overlook the spark plug caps.

They do deteriate over time, have a resistor material in them that degrades over time and usage. Are about $5 each for NKG aftermartket. Twist/screw them off. Can test them with an ohm meter. 5000 ohms (5K) I think. They go to way high reistance near infinity (open) when they fail.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        No mention of new plugs...did you throw a set of new plugs in?
        Yes have a new set of ngk's, as mentioned above 2/3 cyl- coils/plugs/caps have been interchanged with 1/4 with the bike running fine on 1/4 cyl- Any further suggestions please??? Have noticed that a lot of the GS's share the same timeing would it be possible to fit a set of points/con's/a-retard from (for instance ) a Gs1000/750/850 etc ??As the mounting holes look the same a I,m sure would be plenty of room?? lashing out £100 ($200) for a replacement e/ignition is not an option at the moment ( dont think they do have them here in England,for this model anyway).Also would an I-C box of a GS850 work on a GS1100 ? As theres a few of these about over here ( somewhere ?) But the GS1100G,s are pretty rare in England...well at least round my way anyway . Desperate to got out there on the road, and this is all thats stopping me !! Thanks Chopz54 ( England)

Comment

all big gs fours after '80 use the same coils and the same igniters, i think
          in 82 however the ignition advance was changed from mech to elec so theres two extra wires comming into the igniter box
          GS850GT

Comment

Cdi

You are correct guy, 82 and up are different, 850 and up are the same unit. Got very lucky and found a cdi last month for my 82 850 for $50 here in the states. Timing is everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmac

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              all big gs fours after '80 use the same coils and the same igniters, i think
              in 82 however the ignition advance was changed from mech to elec so theres two extra wires comming into the igniter box
              Mines an 82, with 2 block conn- 1 has the blue,green,black & yellow for the p/up ( 2 for each one ), the other has 4 wires black-white ( earth )
              orange-white ( coil - cut out switch ) white ( coil ) black-yellow ( coil ).
              the problem being with that black-yellow wire.

Comment

sounds like a faulty cdi unit

i'm not familiar with the internals of the "black box" so not sure if it can be repaired
                they dont seem to fail that often so getting a used one ('82 or up) should see you right
                GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                X