The Carbs win again. Adjustment Q gs550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Carbs win again. Adjustment Q gs550

Well i have everything in order or at least i think.

Both air and fuel screws are 1.75 turns out. No vacuum leaks that i can find.
    Upon the rebuild i fabbed up some extended tubes for the vacuum ports off the monifolds so i could get to them easier, and before anyone asks, they are sealed and proper with tight fitting caps/nipples.

When i remove #1 3 or 4 nipple on the tubes idle goes down and almost dies. But #2 would raise the idle considerably. It wasnt until i adjusted the air screw out 4 turns that idle would be affected the same way as the rest when removing the nipple. These are rebuilt slide carbs. It seems to run great this way but it cant be right and SAFE. Any ideas?

When you had the carbs apart, did you happen to note whether all the jets matched?

It is not unheard of for a previous owner to mess up a jet and just grab one that fits, without paying attention to whether it's the correct one.

Any chance you mis-counted the turns on the fuel screw on #2? You might have an extra half-turn, which requires extra air to compensate.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

have you vac synced the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        When you had the carbs apart, did you happen to note whether all the jets matched?

It is not unheard of for a previous owner to mess up a jet and just grab one that fits, without paying attention to whether it's the correct one.

Any chance you mis-counted the turns on the fuel screw on #2? You might have an extra half-turn, which requires extra air to compensate.

I replaced the jets myself. All the same. The fuel screws are the same. Triple checked them too. I have not vac syncd em as i hav only a single vac gauge, not the one everyone says to buy.
        Also having the bike idleing, i have a laser temp meter,and the #2 cylinder shows alot colder until i crank out the air screw. Im thinkin i have a bad carb body or somthing. Only thing i can check or havent changed.
        Thanks for the help too guys.

Comment

Sounds like typical problem of carbs needing to be synced

Comment

Originally posted by NEO View Post
            But #2 would raise the idle considerably. It wasnt until i adjusted the air screw out 4 turns that idle would be affected the same way as the rest when removing the nipple. These are rebuilt slide carbs. It seems to run great this way but it cant be right and SAFE. Any ideas?
            Check your vacuum line to the petcock, the petcock it self, and the boot fitting between the carb and the air box. Sounds a little lean on the #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Check your vacuum line to the petcock, the petcock it self, and the boot fitting between the carb and the air box. Sounds a little lean on the #2.

No vacuum petcock. Aftermarket tank and petcock. No airboxes.POds. Im sorry i should have siad all this before. Im a horrible gs'r.

Comment

Number 2 sounds rich, that's why the idle speeds up with the vacuum port uncovered. Maybe the #2 float is sticking some?

And what the others have said about sync…
                Last edited by Nessism; 06-27-2008, 04:18 PM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Number 2 sounds rich, that's why the idle speeds up with the vacuum port uncovered. Maybe the #2 float is sticking some?

And what the others have said about sync…

I didnt even think about that. Im gonna pull em and check. I need to find someone who could help with the vac sync.

Comment

Working...
                  X