Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which bars did you replace your original "GL" bars with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which bars did you replace your original "GL" bars with?

I have a GS650GL and I hate the handlebars (go figure). I've been researching which bars to replace the originals with, but it's hard to find them in stock for a quick mock-up check. This means I'm going to have to order them sight unseen.

I'm curious to know which bars the rest of the GS-er's have used to replace the crappy buckhorn GL bars. I'm hoping to locate my best 1st choice attempt.

I've been using the bars listed here for reference...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10111

Thanks guys!
    "G" model take-offs
    20.00%
    "E" model take-offs
    0.00%
    Superbike bars
    20.00%
    Clubman bars
    0.00%
    Drag bars
    10.00%
    Euro bars
    0.00%
    Daytona bars
    30.00%
    Clip-ons
    0.00%
    Other (please describe)
    20.00%
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM.

say what?

Originally posted by buddha View Post
    I have a GS650GL and I hate the handlebars (go figure). I've been researching which bars to replace the originals with, but it's hard to find them in stock for a quick mock-up check. This means I'm going to have to order them sight unseen.

I'm curious to know which bars the rest of the GS-er's have used to replace the crappy buckhorn GL bars. I'm hoping to locate my best 1st choice attempt.

Thanks guys!
    I used the OOOOHHHH so PURDY 80's flare/style cruiser bars. I think they came stock on most if not all of the "L" models! LUV them bars!

Comment

Like many of us, I have superbike bars on my 1000 GL. They are not Whitney bars, but I suspect that their bends are fairly close and their prices seem very good...

Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

OK...you've got a GREAT looking bike!!! And the "super bike bars" look good to. I just can't change my little gem. It is what it is!

Comment

Im supposed to change my bars?

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            Ladies and gents...WE HAVE A WINNER............

Comment

Only if you want to actually be able to ride it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

L model riding position = Sit up like a dog and beg.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm just not qualified as a contortionist. My arms and wrists don't bend that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    L model riding position = Sit up like a dog and beg.
                    I've never thought of it that way, but you're CORRECT!

Looks even worse when you're seated on the pillion with you're feet on the main pegs!!!! YES, I do do that!

Comment

The stock 'L' bars, like so many chopper-styled bikes, feel okay when you are sitting on the bike while it is parked (like in the dealer's showroom back in the day).

But they suck the big one when you actually ride the bike.

And there is very little difference between what is now called a 'Daytona' bend handlebar and a 'superbike' bend. Unless all Daytona bars are black...

I had another 1000L many years ago, a 1980 model.

Don't you love that seat? Actually, I hated that bike, mostly because of the bars, and sold it (for about twice what I paid for it). I had other bikes at the time, as you can see - that's a '75 Gold Wing wearing the Tracy fairing and four into one Jardine pipe, a sweet '76 GT-750 w/ superbike bars and bar end mirrors hidden behind the 'L', and on the right is 'The Kid' (as we called it), a '74 GT-380 that was just a fantastic, fun bike (soon after this photo was taken, it got a black w/ gold pinstripe gas tank and side covers from a '76).

Unfortunately, except for the 1000L, eventually I sold all three of the bikes in that photo to very close friends, and each and every one of them wrecked their bike soon after they bought it! Really ****ed me off - certainly I can't be the only one that can own and ride a bike w/o wrecking it, can I?

When I found my current 1000GL about two and a half years ago (sitting in the garage of the ex-wife of the original owner, where it had been languishing for some 24 years), I was looking for an old shaftie GS, although not another 'L" model. But I knew that I'd be happy with the bike if I just switched the bars.

Heck, I changed the bars before I even got it running and took it for it's first ride down the driveway.

Many of you have heard this story before, it had 11K miles on it, a tank and carbs full of crap that I guess was gasoline at some point, an inch of crud on it that I guess was accumulated dust but had the consistency of salt crystals, bone dry brake hydraulics, and some of the most dry rotted tires I had ever seen. It was also missing the right side (points) cover and all of the pieces inside (magnetic pickups, mechanical advance, etc.).

I gave her $200 for it.

It now has 40K miles on it. And, incidentally, the original seat is beneath that wooly mammoth (bathroom rug) seat cover and is still in mint condition.

And let me remind owners of GS-L models that I think you are nuts if you are running any tire other than Dunlop Elite 3's - they grip, look great, and last almost forever!
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2008, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by highmileage View Post

And let me remind owners of GS-L models that I think you are nuts if you are running any tire other than Dunlop Elite 3's - they grip, look great, and last almost forever!
                        Thanks for the heads up on the tires, I'm due for a new set before the season is over. And let me say that you most likely have the nicest $200 bike on the fourm! Ya should have kept the GT...what a fun ride!

Comment

You mean the GT-750 or the GT-380? Either way, you are right - they are fun bikes and are rapidly appreciating now.

But that pic is from over 20 years (and a lot of bikes) ago...

Comment

The stock bars suck at anything over 45 MPH. I discovered that when I got a windshield and didn't have to hang on to them anymore. Now that I don't have the wind pulling me off the bike, I like the bars.

I have a Dunlop K481 rear tire with more than 10K on it. It's probably got 3/4 of the tread left. I will never get any other tire.

Comment

Working...
                            X