Petcock Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock Query

I have recently been informed that my '78 GS1000 has a '79 gas tank. No big deal, I guess. The strange thing is the petcock. Is this a '79 petcock or something strange? I don't even know what the positions are, other than prime. Do I use one of those Suzuki special tools to move positions? I am thinking of just replacing it with a new replacement. I don't think that the '79 tank is any different than the '78.....or is it?

i think the 79 was supposed to be the same as the 78...

if thats true you have a newer petcock...

if its not working i would call Z1 and order a new one they are only about $40 or so with the adapter plate and all

Comment

'78 and '79 are supposed to be the same, have a reserve position, a handle you can turn, and a real PRI.
      The one you have sucks, it's from a 1980, and is nearly useless.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Ahhh....Yes, I certainly agree with you and I hope to be bolting up a new replacement soon. This sort of thing makes me wonder what other "improvements" the PO has blessed me with.

Comment

check out Z1enterprises.com

give them a call and they will set you up nicely...

good guys, and they ship priority, for cheap!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I think it's time to make a list and make the call. Christmas is coming early this year.

Comment

Originally posted by gus33 View Post
              I have recently been informed that my '78 GS1000 has a '79 gas tank. No big deal, I guess. The strange thing is the petcock. Is this a '79 petcock or something strange? I don't even know what the positions are, other than prime. Do I use one of those Suzuki special tools to move positions? I am thinking of just replacing it with a new replacement. I don't think that the '79 tank is any different than the '78.....or is it?
              78 tank should have an recessed area where the stripe graphics are applied 79 doesn't have it.

If you took the tank off with gas in it and it didn't leak the petcock is doing its job. Don't worry about changing it out it unless the fuel gauge doesn't work.

The 1980 petcock that you have on your bike has an ON and PRI. From your pic it is currently ON. To change this petcock to PRI use a small flat headed screwdriver that fits in the slot and rotate it till the slot is vertical and underneath the PRI.

Comment

Working...
              X