82 GS750 EZ revival - wooden dowel stuck in needle jet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750 EZ revival - wooden dowel stuck in needle jet

Searched but didn't see this yet - 82 GS 750 EZ, just out of 15 yrs storage in heated basement; 2nd owner; rebuilding carbs (w/ advice of forum members - Thank God for your help and this forum!)

#4 needle jet (that holds main jet in ctr of carb) was VERY tough to get out - used PB Blaster in there for 5 days (after removed main jet and washer.)

Anyway, finally got it out w/ oak dowel rod, but now main jet orifice/screw threads have 1/3" or so of oak dowel rod down needle jet tube.

Drilled a hole in oak plug and tried threading screw in it to "pop" it out, but no go. Also tried picking it out with o-ring remover (some success), but worried about messing up main jet screw threads.

Weird, I know, but has anyone else this problem, and if so, have a simple solution without buying another jet?

I have Berryman's carb dip, but worried that will just make the wood swell up, and be harder to remove.

Thanks for your suggestions.

maybe you could burn it...?
    GS850GT

Comment

Wooden dowel stuck in needle jet

With a propane torch? Tried a Bic but not enough heat - lol. Sounds feasible. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Stuck wood

Never had this happen, but you might go ahead and spray it and let it swell, then use a LH drill bit and slowly drill it and hope the thing backs out on the bit. If not soak it again and repeat and maybe it will thin out enough so that our pick will break it up.
        Lee :-)

Comment

Originally posted by goatboy View Post
          With a propane torch? Tried a Bic but not enough heat - lol. Sounds feasible. Thanks for the suggestion!
          If you have a bare aluminum carb body, I would preheat the stove oven to 250 degs, turn the oven off and put the carb body on a cookie sheet in the oven for 20 minutes. The aluminum should expand enough to allow you to push the dowel out.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

i say soak it then burn it,

if it doesnt work, do it again, and again, and again...

eventually the wood will burn all the way and you will be able to get it all out....

Comment

Thanks for all the replies!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions about the stuck dowel rod.

You are all great supporters of our sport and bike(s) of choice.

I'll try all the suggestions, and let you know what happened. Thanks again.

Comment

The others have some good suggestions on getting the wood out. In the future if you get a part stuck in a carb try heating the body; softens the varnish post haste. Had some VM slides stuck fast but heat had them out in seconds. I was stunned.

Good luck.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Put it in a jar with a handful of termites.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Mifune View Post
                    Put it in a jar with a handful of termites.
                    this thread is turning to one of "those" high-tech threads that i really like
                    GS850GT

Comment

Propane bottle torch worked!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Small propane bottle torch worked great burning out wooden dowel rod stuck in needle jet.

Just went low and slow, and had the plug out in about 5 minutes.

Comment

glad to hear it worked

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        maybe you could burn it...?
                        was a long shot really
                        GS850GT

Comment

I think the termite idea would have worked eventually.

Comment

very cool forum

love the humor go mifune

Originally posted by Go Mifune View Post
                            I think the termite idea would have worked eventually.
                            GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                            X